Roland's Notes

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2004
      Hi guys,

      Here's another edition of Roland's Notes. In this edition, Roland talks about Mayfield. Enjoy!

      Gino

      In the days when the F.J. & G. was operating. Route 30 ran right through the center of Mayfield. The original station was indeed under water. The station where I was Agent, was right on the four corners. The loading platform is gone, but the doors are still evident. The brick building is now a Deli on the northwest corner. Across from the station was a building housing Harry Fowler's grocery store, a beauty shop, the Post Office (Bill Agnew the postmaster) and Harlan Brown's Pharmacy. Going north a vacant lot and next The Mayfield Glove Co. There were several glove companies then including Wilkins Glove Co, Alvord Glove Co, Passero Glove Co., Crossley Glove Co. and two or three others that I can't remember. The Mayfield Glove Co. owned by Park Hollenbeck was the largest at the time. Across from the Mayfield Glove Co, going south was Mortimer's grocery store, next the Mayfield Diner, next Wilkins Glove Co. On the south west corner was another grocery store. I can't remember the owner's name, next to that is where the Coleco plant was erected. In those times all residences were where the Coleco plant is now. On the Southeast Barney Griffes, Engineer for the F.J. and G. lived and next to him was Del Reynolds News and ice cream store. They had to move Barney's house to accommodate plans for the new route 30. Barney didn't like this but he told me that he was drinking coffee when they moved his house and he wasn't even aware of it.

      I used to look across the street every day, probably over 1,000 times at the Mayfield Glove Co.and I would swear that the Mayfield Glove Co. had only 3 stories. The memory must be playing tricks on me because it sure looks like the old Mayfield Glove Co.

      The owner, Park Hollenbeck heard rumors that we were closing the station and he came over to see me. He said, "You can't close the station. It's been here for many years."

      I told him, "Every night on your loading platform, you have cases of gloves ready for shipping by truck, and we can't supply a station and an Agent with no business. After that he slowly walked away.

      The Mortimer and Robinson grocery store building is still there as well as the old station.

      The following buildings are all gone: The grocery store on the southeast corner, Harry Fowler's grocery store, Del Reynolds news store, the post office, Brown's Drug Store, the beauty shop, the Mayfield Glove Company (which was the biggest) at that time, Wilkins Glove Co. (the second biggest) and the old dining car.

      I don't know the origin of the dining car. I would guess that it was an old FJG car. When I closed the Mayfield Station the diner had gone out of business and Bob Goodrow had opened up the "Mayfield Hardware Store" in the old dining car. I turned over all Railway Express supplies and records to Goodrow. I drove by there yesterday and everything is gone except the old station. The old loading doors are still visible on the building. When I was agent at Mayfield, the station was the center of town. Across the street was the Post Office, Brown's drug store, a Beauty Shop and Harry Fowler's grocery store. Next to the drug store was the Mayfield Glove Co., next to the station was Wilkins Glove Co. Across from Mayfield Glove Co was Mortimer and
      Robinson's grocery store and across the street to the south of the was another grocery store. Across the street from that grocery store, Del Reynolds ran a news store. Everything is gone except the station. I bought the safe from the FJ&G, which I later sold. I don't know what happened to all of the other records. In those days there were seven glove shops in Mayfield. Our best customer was the Bennett Boat Co. Stan Bennett had all of his aluminum boats shipped

      When I closed the Mayfield Station in 1953 or 54, Bob Goodrow had bought the old Mayfield Diner, which had gone out of business at that time. Goodrow named it the Mayfield Hardware Store and stocked it with hard goods. Goodrow agreed to become the Railway Express Agency. I turned over all REA records and supplies to him and helped him get started. That's the last contact I had with him or Mayfield.

      Mayfield in those days supported 3 grocery stores all in the center of town. I don't think they even have one grocery store now.

      The station that I closed is still there. You can see the big doors where the loading platform was located. It is now a deli. This building was rented. The owners, the Bruce Elphee family, lived upstairs. The F.J. & G. also had trucks. Bunk Eddy made the truck run, 2 trips to Northville Monday through Saturday. Bunk was also an extra bus driver, Bunk, on his truck run carried mail, freight, baggage and Express. Mayfield was also serviced by 4 bus runs Monday through Thursday, 5 runs on Friday and Saturday, and 3 on Sunday. The back part of the Northville and Broadalbin busses were caged off and padlocked to deliver U.S. mail.

      Gino DiCarlo
      Imaging

      Quad/Imaging
      A Division of Quad/Graphics