Re: [FJGRailroad] North Creek Line

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6, 2000
      North Creek line operated until 1989 to the Tahawas mine. The mine closed
      down and there was no other need for freight service up there. I remember
      when it was still open and I have pictures of me in a B&M engine (Guilford
      colors) in North Creek.

      The line currently is in operation for freight service as far as Corinth.
      CPR still runs a local up there Tuesday through Saturday. Usually leaves
      Saratoga around Noon and still operates with a caboose. They go as far as
      Corinth station, where they switch over to the branch to Corinth village
      proper and go to the International Paper mill.

      North of that, line was silent until Fall 1998, when Upper Hudson River
      Railroad started tourist service. I have pictures of the first day of
      operations. I photographed the first train and rode the second. The track
      is still in amazingly good condition, even after almost ten years without
      maintenance. Ride was probably just as smooth as Amtrak. I guess the heavy
      rail and tamping from the loaded ore cars really nailed the tracks in place.

      Riverside (Riparius) is a really pretty spot - station is near mint, has
      been restored nicely. Really cool old place with old buildings more or less
      intact.

      It always amazes me how these little knockabout places (Corinth, Hadley,
      Riparius, North Creek) were actually big business years ago... now, would
      any industry think of going there?

      Same story with Gloversville.

      Enough for tonight; I want to get to sleep at a reasonable time. I have an
      8:30 class in the morning.

      From: Saul Kalbfeld <skalbfel@...>
      To: FJGRailroad@egroups.com <FJGRailroad@egroups.com>
      Date: Thursday, April 06, 2000 10:10 PM