Broadalbin Passenger Service

    Message 1 of 9 , May 25, 2004
      Hi All,

      In the 1954 employee's time table the schedule shows a train 3 running
      between Gloversville and Broadalbin from 0730-0800, returning as train 4
      from 0830-0900. These are both listed as first class train. When did
      this end and what equipment would have been used?

      Paul :-)
    • Walt Danylak
      Message 2 of 9 , May 25, 2004
        --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Paul Charland <p.charlie@s...>
        wrote:

        In the 1954 employee's time table the schedule shows a train 3
        running between Gloversville and Broadalbin from 0730-0800, returning
        as train 4 from 0830-0900. These are both listed as first class
        train. When did this end and what equipment would have been used?

        Paul,

        During the 1950s, usually #30 was the locomotive used unless there
        was a lot of freight to move, in which case either #20 or #21 would
        be used. The "first class" equipment was either combine #21 or #22.
        Someone once told that one of the combines was considered a summer
        car and the other a winter car. Whether this was true or not I don't
        know. This service ended in July 1956 when the FJ&G totally got out
        of the passenger business. If I remember correctly the fare was 25
        cents each way. I only rode the train once in the winter of 55-56 on
        a YMCA sponsered trip on a Saturday morning. It was a great ride!

        Walt
        Message 3 of 9 , May 25, 2004
          Hi Walt,

          Thanks for the information, I wondered if this was actually a mixed
          seeing as there were no other trains scheduled for Broadalbin.

          Paul :-)

          Walt Danylak wrote:

          > Paul,
          >
          > During the 1950s, usually #30 was the locomotive used unless there
          > was a lot of freight to move, in which case either #20 or #21 would
          > be used. The "first class" equipment was either combine #21 or #22.
          > Someone once told that one of the combines was considered a summer
          > car and the other a winter car. Whether this was true or not I don't
          > know. This service ended in July 1956 when the FJ&G totally got out
          > of the passenger business. If I remember correctly the fare was 25
          > cents each way. I only rode the train once in the winter of 55-56 on
          > a YMCA sponsered trip on a Saturday morning. It was a great ride!
          >
          > Walt
        • Richard Finn
          Message 4 of 9 , May 25, 2004
            Hey Walt, you are tweaking my memory.

            In June 1951, to celebrate our graduation from GHS, Marty Davis and I
            hopped the train at North Main St, and rode round trip to Broadalbin
            for two bits. Marty lived on North Main near 9 th Ave, and I lived on
            East 11 th backed up to the ROW.

            A little note for you steamer fans. I have an interest in NYC 999,
            built ALCO 1893. There is an amazing resemblance between FJ&G Nos. 8 &
            9 and 999. They appear to be slightly lighter versions of 999. Some
            day when I get aroundtuit, I will check the specs just to see what the
            differences were.

            Dick

            On May 25, 2004, at 2:07 PM, Walt Danylak wrote:

            > --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Paul Charland <p.charlie@s...>
            > wrote:
            >
            > In the 1954 employee's time table the schedule shows a train 3
            > running between Gloversville and Broadalbin from 0730-0800, returning
            > as train 4 from 0830-0900.  These are both listed as first class
            > train.  When did this end and what equipment would have been used?
            >
            > Paul,
            >
            > During the 1950s, usually #30 was the locomotive used unless there
            > was a lot of freight to move, in which case either #20 or #21 would
            > be used. The "first class" equipment was either combine #21 or #22.
            > Someone once told that one of the combines was considered a summer
            > car and the other a winter car. Whether this was true or not I don't
            > know. This service ended in July 1956 when the FJ&G totally got out
            > of the passenger business. If I remember correctly the fare was 25
            > cents each way. I only rode the train once in the winter of 55-56 on
            > a YMCA sponsered trip on a Saturday morning. It was a great ride!
            >
            > Walt
            >

            > Visit Gino's Railpage at
            > http://www.ginosrailpage.com
            > http://gcdranet.homelinux.com/
            > Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
            > http://www.lostlandmarks.org
            > Visit The NERAIL North American Photo Archive at
            > http://naphotos.nerail.org/
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            > <hfc_300x250_stat_0404.gif>
            > <l.gif>
            >
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            > Service.

          • Walt Danylak
            Message 5 of 9 , May 25, 2004
              --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Richard Finn <rafinn@r...> wrote:

              ... A little note for you steamer fans. I have an interest in NYC
              999, built ALCO 1893. There is an amazing resemblance between FJ&G
              Nos. 8 & 9 and 999. They appear to be slightly lighter versions of
              999. ...

              Dick,

              I believe that 999 was built by the NYC in its West Albany shops. It
              was built strickly for speed. The other 4-4-0s at the time had 70"
              drivers while the 999 had 86" drivers. The 999 was later rebuilt with
              70" drivers and renumbered. I found an article about 999 in one of
              the local papers. When I get home this weekend, I'll look for it and
              post it to the group if anyone's interested.

              Walt
            • oleroadslug
              Message 6 of 9 , May 25, 2004
                I have a 30 minute VHS tape entitled Hudsons along the Hudson. In it
                is a short segment of the 999. All NYC steam, except for a blip on
                the D&H, in color.

                I found it in a packing box. I have no need for it.

                Will be happy to donate it to the group. One catch. I don't need it
                back, so make available to group, please and it has to be sent to a
                list member in Fonda, Johnstown, or Gloversville. Otherwise, it goes
                to that OFFLINE member in Saratoga Springs.

                Which is OK. The D&H was there, and he works for Quad Graphics. A
                BIG customer just south of me in Packerland. :-)

                Whoever first (legitimate)address get's it.

                Will I have to ckeck with Gino if he's on the UP N UP? :-)

                Bob Schoneman
                suds@...
              • mwilber@webtv.net
                Message 7 of 9 , May 25, 2004
                  Bob- Anything on the railroad bridge at Poughkeepsie? Mark
                • Gino DiCarlo
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 26, 2004
                    I was gonna say, if you're looking for NYC power info, Walt Danylak
                    is you man!!!

                    Gino

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 26, 2004
                      Send to that off line member in Saratoga. He is keeping the fire lit on
                      line and shares, he would be a good keeper.

                      PKL