Re: FW: RE: [FJGRailroad] Fonda Passing Siding?

    Message 1 of 31 , May 25, 2004
      Hi Mark,

      Thanks, I guessed this back in the mid '80s but never knew if I was even
      in the ball park about it. This would mean back in the '50s you could
      have run a "unit coal train" of only five or six cars!

      Paul :-)

      mwilber@... wrote:

      > Paul-Thats just about right. Roughly 9 or 10 loads.If we had more
      > cars in Fonda Yard,we'd take up the Karg Bros. first and spot them up
      > in Johnstown,then go back after the rest.We'd never tried to bring up
      > more than we thought we could handle.It was easier to go back into
      > Fonda Yard,than to cut cars on the main,on the hill. Mark
    • Glenn J. Williams
      Message 31 of 31 , Jun 1, 2004
        --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Glenn J. Williams"
        <103424.2304@c...> wrote:
        > --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "paul larner" <pklarner@h...>
        > wrote:
        > > [snip]
        > > Walt or Glenn, do you remember if there was a track off the runner
        > > east of the station between Center and Broadway?
        > >
        > > PKL
        >
        > IIRC, there was a spur which serviced the GLF store by the Center
        > Street crossing. There always seemed to be a box car there for un-
        >
        > Glenn

        As an add-on to my own message, the spur can be seen in the Photos
        section, under file FondaNY83. Look at pictures 17, 18, and 19.

        Glenn