9979Re: HO model for FJG bus

  • Glenn J. Williams
    May 8, 2004
      --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Malcolm Horton" <mdhorton@m...>
      wrote:
      > The Gloversville High School band used to have a spring outing at
      Pine Lake in the late 1930's. We went by FJ&G chartered buses having
      their engines in the front. When climbing the long Mary Jane Peck
      Hill, just west of town, the driver would be steering with his left
      hand and pushing and pulling a piston, which projected out from the
      front of the dashboard, with his right hand. I asked him what he was
      doing. He said that the normal fuel pump was operated by engine
      vacuum. It pumped gasoline to a small holding tank on the engine side
      of the firewall where it then flowed by gravity to the carburetor.
      When on a long hill, the engine vacuum dropped to a very low value
      and the fuel pump either stopped completely or at best, ran very
      slowly. At the same time, the demand for fuel was very high. The hand
      pump then had to be used to prevent running out of fuel to the
      carburetor else the engine would stall.
      > This is just an interesting side light on the subject of Mack
      buses at that time. Thankfully, you don't have to model the hand pump.

      > Malcolm Horton

      Malcolm,

      Boy, does that bring back memories for my father. He originally said
      that any car that could make it up Mary Jane Peck Hill was a car
      worth having. He later modified it to add "in high gear" as cars got
      better.

      Glenn
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic