9916Re: So I had a Question...

  • Glenn J. Williams
    May 3, 2004
      --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Paul Charland <p.charlie@s...>
      > Hi Walt,
      > Thanks for the information. Think the locals were DeWitt to
      > Selkirk numbered WD-5 and DW-74 if my memory serves me.
      > [snip]
      > This does lead me to the next question though. If the freight
      > schedule only allows about twenty minutes to turn a train in Fonda,
      > when did they have time to weigh cars and did they just grab
      > the "next 600 tons" and head up the hill with them?
      > Paul :-)

      Welcome back, Paul!

      At the time I was actively watching the FJ&G (the late 50s and early
      60s, the NYC locals servicing Fonda were VD75 and DV4. The train
      numbers may well have changed, though.

      Paul Larner once mentioned to me that at one point, the scales at
      Fonda were no longer used and the cars were weighed at another
      location. Which location(s)? Paul will have to refresh our
      collective memories on that one.

      I have slides of NYC SW1s (and an occasional Alco S) working the
      Fonda yard, so that job predates Penn Central.

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic