9629RE: [FJGRailroad] Re: Couple of mystery photos.

    Feb 28, 2004
      I thought the first coach was the No.3 because of the roof line and length;
      the second I guessed to be either the 2 or the 4. the Cars purchased in
      1884 were primarily for excursion service and had no heat or particularly
      comfortable seating. The second car appears to have a stack on the corner.
      Also the clerestory and roof line doesn't match the 1884 coaches.

      The man in the window appears to be a bit older than Caten wold have been at
      the time, 54. David Wells is more likely at age 61. If you have a copy of
      Frothingham's history, 1892, you can compare each of their likenesses. Wish
      I could have pulled out more detail. So far I spent about ten hours working
      out the balances.

      >From: "Walt Danylak" <waltdanylak@...>
      >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Couple of mystery photos.
      >Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 13:48:20 -0000
      >The man looks somewhat like Caten, judging from the photo I've seen
      >of him. The first coach looks to be one of earlier ones (#1 to #5)
      >that Gilbert built from 1870-1881. The 2nd coach looks like one of
      >the coaches (#6 to #12) the FJ&G purchased from the Baltimore &
      >Potomac in the 1884 and 1886.

      Dream of owning a home? Find out how in the First-time Home Buying Guide.
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic