9215Re: [FJGRailroad] Modern Milk by Rail in NY State

    Nov 21, 2003
      The thing that I don't understand is that they seem to be saying that a
      collapsable sack will eliminate the backhaul problem. But the sack still has
      to be backhauled presumably on the railcar that is designed to haul it...Oh
      no I see the car gets emptied in NY and then goes on to another load and the
      sack is folded up and put in the cab next to the conductor...........

      >From: "paul larner" <pklarner@...>
      >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Modern Milk by Rail in NY State
      >Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 00:59:25 -0500
      >
      >We did this for a few years in the early eighties, on the CV using
      >intermodal, TOFC. This traffic is very time sensitive and perishable. Yes
      >it can be done. You need a central processing point (creamery), rail siding
      >and dedicated service to make it feasible. Bulk tanks would be easier than
      >TOFC if the creamery were to be located adjacent to the Utica rail station.
      >A switcher could tack a car on 286 or 288 on weekends to haul into Penn
      >station where it could beswitched to a track then pumped out to a bottler.
      >Our traffic went to Hoods near Boston from the St.Albans Coop creamery
      >which
      >was located adjacent to our facilities at St. Albans.
      >
      >This plan sounds like it was conceived by the same minds who wanted to run
      >Amtrak service to Rutland via North Bennington and Manchester but had no
      >idea that the service that once existed became impossible when the B&M was
      >torn up from the Troy depot out to Johnsonville and the connection through
      >Troy on the south end was taken up. What the heck, our money, if it makes
      >railroad jobs, I'm for it.
      >
      >PKL
      >

      > >From: Gino & Kelly DiCarlo <dicarlos@...>
      > >To: FJG Railroad <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
      > >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Modern Milk by Rail in NY State
      > >Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 14:52:31 -0500
      > >
      > >Maybe the old Rutland Corkscrew Division will re-open!!!
      > >
      > >Gino
      > > >
      > > > Tue, Nov 18, 2003
      > > > LINDA MURPHY
      > > > (Utica, NY) Observer-Dispatch
      > > >
      > > > The Southern Oneida County Economic Development Council is
      > > > one step closer to implementing its "Milk by Rail" project.
      > > >
      > > > If executed, the project would offer a new, less expensive way for
      > > > Central New York farmers to ship the milk they produce.
      > > >
      > > > A $19,000 feasibility study -- funded primarily by the Empire State
      > > > Development Corp. -- has been completed by Cornell University
      > > > Professor James Pratt. Late last week, Pratt told a group of 50 at
      > > > Mohawk Valley
      > > > Community College that prospects for the project look good.
      > > >
      > > > "Yes, it can be done," said Robert Perry, co-chairman of
      > > > development council. "It's now a matter of getting funding to set
      > > > up the pilot program."
      > > >
      > > > Although many details were addressed in the study, many
      > > > questions remain unanswered, Perry said:
      > > >
      > > > Who will pay for the pilot program.
      > > >
      > > > Will a railroad company, a milk producer or some other
      > > > business take responsibility for the project.
      > > >
      > > > Eventually some private company will take responsibility, Perry
      > > > has said.
      > > >
      > > > Council officials hope the pilot program will be funded by the
      > > > state Agriculture and Markets department, Perry said.
      > > >
      > > > "We have several different grant programs designed to assist
> [...]

      Groove on the latest from the hot new rock groups! Get downloads, videos,
      and more here. http://special.msn.com/entertainment/wiredformusic.armx
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic