9214Re: [FJGRailroad] Modern Milk by Rail in NY State

    Nov 20, 2003
      We did this for a few years in the early eighties, on the CV using
      intermodal, TOFC. This traffic is very time sensitive and perishable. Yes
      it can be done. You need a central processing point (creamery), rail siding
      and dedicated service to make it feasible. Bulk tanks would be easier than
      TOFC if the creamery were to be located adjacent to the Utica rail station.
      A switcher could tack a car on 286 or 288 on weekends to haul into Penn
      station where it could beswitched to a track then pumped out to a bottler.
      Our traffic went to Hoods near Boston from the St.Albans Coop creamery which
      was located adjacent to our facilities at St. Albans.

      This plan sounds like it was conceived by the same minds who wanted to run
      Amtrak service to Rutland via North Bennington and Manchester but had no
      idea that the service that once existed became impossible when the B&M was
      torn up from the Troy depot out to Johnsonville and the connection through
      Troy on the south end was taken up. What the heck, our money, if it makes
      railroad jobs, I'm for it.

      PKL

      >From: Gino & Kelly DiCarlo <dicarlos@...>
      >To: FJG Railroad <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Modern Milk by Rail in NY State
      >Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 14:52:31 -0500
      >
      >Maybe the old Rutland Corkscrew Division will re-open!!!
      >
      >Gino
      > >
      > > Tue, Nov 18, 2003
      > > LINDA MURPHY
      > > (Utica, NY) Observer-Dispatch
      > >
      > > The Southern Oneida County Economic Development Council is
      > > one step closer to implementing its "Milk by Rail" project.
      > >
      > > If executed, the project would offer a new, less expensive way for
      > > Central New York farmers to ship the milk they produce.
      > >
      > > A $19,000 feasibility study -- funded primarily by the Empire State
      > > Development Corp. -- has been completed by Cornell University
      > > Professor James Pratt. Late last week, Pratt told a group of 50 at
      > > Mohawk Valley
      > > Community College that prospects for the project look good.
      > >
      > > "Yes, it can be done," said Robert Perry, co-chairman of
      > > development council. "It's now a matter of getting funding to set
      > > up the pilot program."
      > >
      > > Although many details were addressed in the study, many
      > > questions remain unanswered, Perry said:
      > >
      > > Who will pay for the pilot program.
      > >
      > > Will a railroad company, a milk producer or some other
      > > business take responsibility for the project.
      > >
      > > Eventually some private company will take responsibility, Perry
      > > has said.
      > >
      > > Council officials hope the pilot program will be funded by the
      > > state Agriculture and Markets department, Perry said.
      > >
      > > "We have several different grant programs designed to assist
      > > farmers and other ag businesses," state agency spokeswoman
      > > Ruth Moore said.
      > >
      > > Shipping milk by rail will help upstate dairy farmers and
      > > distributors with steep transportation costs, Perry said. Trucking
      > > companies are forced to swallow the expense of trucks returning
      > > up the Thruway empty after delivering downstate.
      > >
      > > Local farmers would take their milk to the depot, load it into a
      > > specially-designed, collapsible tank and have it transported by
      > > rail.
      > >
      > > Once emptied, the tank would be cleaned and collapsed,
      > > allowing cargo to be added to the train for the trip back north.

      Is there a gadget-lover on your gift list? MSN Shopping has lined up some
      good bets! http://shopping.msn.com
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic