877Re: [FJGRailroad] Weeds and Brush

    Mar 4, 2000
      The steam job worked but the weeds come back stronger than ever; we've tried
      it. The burners were better. We've tried nickel slag ballast where we
      couldn't spray and there was a machine called a disker used where you didn't
      have stone ballast (not very practical on today's main lines). Nothing
      beats chemicals, if we can live with them.

      Re the tower at Fonda. I've re checked the pictures and I don't see a
      signal bridge at the west end of the interlocking in any of the photos I've
      looked at. The west end must have used pole mounted signals on the outside,
      similar to the one beside the FJ&G track, governing the eastward movement
      from the FJ&G main to the NYC running track. The NYC was 251 territory
      where each track has a direction or current of traffic, the two inner tracks
      being westward. The signals in one of the pics, which shows tower 16 in the
      SW quadrant, appear to be home signals, but I can't see any switches. I
      believe the tower was removed and the controls put in a new tower 16 above
      the station before the line went to CTC or movement in both directions.
      Early fifties maybe, late forties, does anyone out there know?

      I have a vague recollection of the rods being there at Fonda but none of the
      tower.

      PKL