846Re: [FJGRailroad] Fonda Photos

    Mar 2, 2000
      Paul,

      When Rome Locomotive Works was hired to do this, they sent a field crew out
      for the summer. They inspected the line as far as Broadalbin Junction and
      what I have are their notes of defects in the track that would impair train
      movement. Things are noted such as heat kinks, asphalt paving over
      crossings, things thrown on the tracks, vehicles parked on the tracks, and
      etc.

      Most of these reports are whole-page hand-drawn checklists noting how each
      boxcar and piece of equipment on the line was readied for scrapping or
      removal. This is what interests me the most. All the cars are noted, with
      reporting marks and numbers; included are the plow and some of the other
      stuff left kicking around up there. I haven't looked through this in a few
      years but I do think they left some of the more fun stuff off the list (i.e.
      I don't think the Swift's Premium reefer they junked in Broadalbin Junction
      was included in this... nor was the tank car over by Hohenforst's).

      The railroad really was falling apart big-time and these reports, together
      with what I remember from the scrapping procedure, will explain most of the
      engineering defects. You're probably familiar with how the tracks in the
      Gloversville yard run over the top of the creek... they sank (quite
      noticeably, probably at least 4") when this scrapping was taking place.

      From: paul larner <pklarner@...>
      To: FJGRailroad@onelist.com <FJGRailroad@onelist.com>
      Date: Wednesday, March 01, 2000 10:55 PM
      Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Fonda Photos

      >From: "paul larner" <pklarner@...>
      >
      >Aaron, is this something like an inspection of the entire line. If so it
      >would be interesting to compare it with some of the inspections done by the
      >Railroad Commissioners around the turn of the century.
      >
      >Paul
      >

      >>From: "Aaron Keller" <aakeller@...>
      >>To: <FJGRailroad@onelist.com>
      >>Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Fonda Photos
      >>Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 01:18:22 -0500
      >>
      >>Paul,
      >>
      >>Thanks for posting these.
      >>
      >>Speaking of '88, I remember when the trackmobile came in '88 to take the
      >>boxcars away. I have the entire engineering report on this job if anyone
      >>cares to see it. It's quite lengthy but offers some good information on
      >>what condition the line was in. I have a photocopy (there were no
      pictures
      >>anyway; just documents).
      >>
      >>-Aaron

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic