8225Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: J. Ledlie Hees

    Oct 10, 2002

      >From: "paul larner" <pklarner@...>
      >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: J. Ledlie Hees
      >Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 08:22:32 -0400
      >
      >Glenn,
      >
      >Montgomery County has one of the best research resources for Mohawk Valley
      >history in the state. Even the folks at the state library suggest checking
      >there for information. Volkert Veeder has always been a personal source of
      >knowledge. He and my father were friends for close to forty years. My
      >first Little Falls and Dolgeville switch key and New York Central wax
      >sealer
      >came from Volkert.
      >
      >The largest regret I have about my present situation is that I arrived back
      >home after my father passed away. He had a vast knowledge of the Valley's
      >history, probably where I picked up my interest in history. It would have
      >been nice to work with him as an adult.
      >
      >PKL
      >

      > >From: "Glenn J. Williams" <103424.2304@...>
      > >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      > >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: J. Ledlie Hees
      > >Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 18:04:15 -0000
      > >
      > >--- In FJGRailroad@y..., "paul larner" <pklarner@h...> wrote:
      > > > [snip]
      > > > Something else for me to explore
      > > > now. I do not have a good history
      > > > of Montgomery County so I am unable
      > > > here to report on the Hees
      > > > lineage beyond this cursory bit.
      > > >
      > > > PKL
      > >
      > >Paul,
      > >
      > >Chat up the people in the Old Court House in Fonda, across the tracks
      > >from the Fonda depot site. A friend doing geneology research in the
      > >county swears by them.
      > >
      > >You may run into the Montgomery County equivalent of The Six Degrees
      > >of Kevin Bacon. My mother always maintained we were related to half
      > >the county by marriage or blood. I scoffed until she showed me the
      > >charts. . .
      > >
      > >BTW, the Six Degrees is ably described (and spoofed) by Kevin Bacon
      > >himself in a VISA television commercial.
      > >
      > > Glenn

      You have a Little Falls & Dolgeville switchkey ? Maybe we could pick a
      meeting (one that I am able to attend) where people specifically bring
      along memorabilia from other Mohawk Valley railroads. I have a Utica and
      Mohawk Valley lantern I would love to show off........