6542RE: [FJGRailroad] Amtrak

    Feb 5, 2002
      The Amtrak engineer is usually alone. Jobs which operate over six hours
      straight away receive a second engineer by contract. The Rutland job is
      some sort of anomaly. While operating less than six hours straight away,
      there is no time at Rutland during the day for a break so a second man is
      supplied by assigning two of the Montreal job second engineers to the train
      as their fifth day. There is a nother day filled out by someone and for the
      rest of it a man is placed on the job from the spare board. The night job
      is given a second engineer when the spare board is slow to work off the
      guarantee. On the night job we are not let out of Rutland until the VTR's
      Whitehall freight leaves so there is a bit of time for a mealbreak.

      PKL