6145Re: [FJGRailroad] Mt. Washington Cog Railway (Re: trolleys to Chicago)

  • Richard A. Finn
    Jan 3, 2002
      Gino

      I have been told by a friend who did the trip on the Cog Railway that it is a very jarring ride and a once (only once) in a lifetime experience.  We did the auto road once in July.  Temperature was in the low 80s at the base, and 37 at the summit.  The wind chill is very severe.  The summit is about 6,300 feet.

      Rich

      glenn_j_williams wrote:

       --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
      > Isn't there a Mount Washington in New Hampshire that could be
      > reached by some sort of a trolley or tram?
      >
      > Gino

      Gino,

      You're thinking of the Mount Washington Cog Railway, a truly unique
      railroad.  It runs from the base to the summit, including a meet with
      a train from the other direction.  Cog railway switches are something
      to see.

      Anyone going to visit it should bring warm clothes, as the summit
      never gets above 65 degrees and is frequently in the clouds.  Be
      warned, too: it's an expensive trip.

           Glenn

      Visit Gino's F.J.G.R.R. Page at
      http://www.capital.net/~dicarlos/