4840Re:Professional model builders.

  • skalbfel@ix.netcom.com
    Jul 30, 2001
      Take a look at http://architecturalmodel.com/. I spent a couple of
      days at their studio in Detroit in the spring. I found that
      professional models are very expensive to build since they are so
      labor intensive. A presentation model can cost several thousand
      dollars. Often they aren't even that detailed. Too bad there isn't a
      market. I'd love to do that. I estimate the Knox building took 150
      hours. At even 5 dollars an hour that would be $750. I've used the
      experience to do some estimates on what it would cost to build the
      Gloversville depot. I'd say 400 hours would be a good estimate,
      depending on the amount of detail included. Most buildings built to
      full scale would be way too large for the average layout. Soon as you
      add one though, it's really impressive, but it makes everything around
      it puny. I'm looking at a couple of other structures along the FJG.
      Several years ago, I did a set of drawings of the J&N Warehouse at the
      Kingsboro crossing. That would make an interesting building because of
      its odd shape. I'm looking at something smaller that won't eat up a
      lot of time. One of my favorites is the old GLF Farm Feed store in
      Johnstown. It was Tag's Used Furniture for a number of years. I
      submitted a plan and manuscript to Railroad Model Craftsman over a
      year ago. They liked the project but have not bought it yet.
      Saul
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic