4671Re: [FJGRailroad] Re:Northville in the 20th Century

    Jun 25, 2001
      Outside the summer season all trains north of Gloversville were or might
      have been mixed. This is of course prior to the coming of the gasoline cars
      obviously. Interestingly the derailment of No. 14 near Becketts, north of
      Mayfield, was train 15, one of the scheduled trains. Extra trains rans as
      required but the engines were small and the trains were not really that long
      or more importantly heavy. Remember freight cars of the era ranged from 29
      feet to 36 feet up to the twenties. Much of the freight handled by the FJ&G
      was LCL on the north end, handled through the freight houses. Northville
      had two; Cranberry creek and Kingsboro used one end of the station and
      Mayfield used the original station building attached on the north end of the
      new building.

      In the summer the schedule included several passenger trains. I've had some
      fun identifying the crew utilization for the regular schedule. One crew was
      headquartered at Northville. In 1922 Frank Robinson Sr. moved to
      Gloversville. That is the year the gas cars went into service and the first
      train from Gloversville went to Northville before the first southbound. On
      August 21, 1922 the gas cars went into the regular schedule, after which the
      only "regular" weekday steam train went to Broadalbin and was run by the
      Gloversville yard crew. There were still five steam operated trains to
      Northville on Sundays.

      When you look at timetable No. 1 of Sept. 17, 1922, there is only five
      minutes between the first arrival at Northville and the earliest departure.
      Even the gas cars had to be turned so I think this is evidence there was a
      crew home terminaled there, yet, but it wasn't Frank Robinson. Frank retired
      in 1925 and I believe but don't know, that he went home to Northville.
      George R. was already in Gloversville as was Frank Jr. who had been there
      since 1910. Fred Dunson the senior engineer's last record at Gloversville is
      1920. I don't know much more about him yet, but he was the oldest engineer
      on the railroad. Whether he went back to Northville for the one train from
      there, retired or died I need to find out. Fred Dunson was the second man on
      the engineer's roster in 1877 behind W(illiam??) Maxfield.

      The long sidings at Northville, Cranberry Creek and south of the Mayfield
      bridge were built to accommodate the large excursion trains - so they could
      get out of the way of the regular trains; unfortunately not for the freight
      trains or the line might have been relocated.

      PKL