217Re: Goodbye

    Dec 7, 1999
      Yes.

      The FJ&G like any corporation is a function of its economics. Heacock gave
      a speech in the '80s where he stated that before they started the company
      they did their homework and they knew where the money was and how the road
      would be made to pay. And pay it did. But after the teens it was slowly
      sinking into red ink. After a long reorganization it emerged and ran
      marginally profitable into the sixties. It provided a service to the mills
      whose owners, and associates, had an interest in the railroad. As long as
      it provided cheap transportation for raw skins, coal and some of the
      chemicals used in the leather business, it had a place. Coleco was a late
      comer and it was the impetus for the final years. For years there was talk
      of a plywood company locating between J and G but we all know that didn't
      happen.

      Walter Rich was in it for the money. State and county money that is. He ran
      it as long as somebody else was paying the bills the company's earnings
      couldn't. He provided a valuable service as long as the community was
      willing to prop up a dead horse. It's economics. Gloversville and
      Johnstown form a text book study of protectionism, tariffs, free trade and
      lies. Read Barbara McMartin's book "The Glove Cities" and Herbert Engel's
      "Shtetl in The Adirondacks" for excellant insight to Gloversville's past and
      present.

      The communities seem to have died. Some of the old money is still there,
      but it's not earned there. As the industrial base died so did the railroad.

      A tourist operation, excellent idea. The FJ&G had all the charm of an East
      Broad Top. But with whose money?

      The history needs to be documented. The whats, whos, whys and whens need to
      be answered objectively and in the context of the community as a whole. It
      was acknowledged long ago and often, that the railroad made Gloversville and
      Johnstown the cities that we think we remember. (Actually the glory years
      were before most of us were born, in the decades each side of the turn of
      the century.) Unfortunately it was G and J that deserted the railroad. But
      they both died together.

      PKL

      >From: "Aaron Keller" <aakeller@...>
      >To: <FJGRailroad@onelist.com>
      >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Goodbye
      >Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 18:51:33 -0500
      >
      >Anyone have an opinion on these comments?
      >

      > >Unfortunately, most of what I've seen is people whining about the demise
      >of
      >the >FJG and what politicians should have or could
      > >have done many years ago but didn't.
      >

      > >but to listen to
      > >griping about situations that can't be changed is about as much fun as
      >hearing >residents of Brooklyn continue to gripe about
      > >the Dodgers moving to LA.

      >Visit Gino's F.J.G.R.R. Page at
      >http://www.capital.net/~dicarlos/
      ><< text3.html >>