      Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2000 10:21 AM
      Subject: [FJGRailroad] A message I received

      A person who lives on the FJG sent me this message that I thought
      you would all find interesting!  Here it is...

      I have been to your F J & G page,  you have done a wonderful job of
      bringing the past to the future.  I am the woman in Gloversville that is
      opposing the rail trail.  The railroad bed is less than 20 feet from my
      kitchen table and privacy is at a minimum.  My husband was living here when
      the train was still rolling and it never really bothered him, even when the
      noise would wake his children,  at least then you knew who was in your back
      yard.  The rail trail invites strangers to our back yard,  sometimes you
      can't tell who is out there but you know that someone is.
      Most of us anti-rail trail people would rather have the F J & G rolling
      through here again then a bunch of strangers.  The trolley barn burned down
      because of vandals and that should be enough for others to understand that
      it could have been one of our homes.  There was no crime when the train was
      running,  now it is just an open invitation for trouble.
      The city of Gloversville claims to have bought this section of the rail bed
      so now they also claim to own my well and part of my home,  so I have done
      a lot of research on the railroad right of way and during the course of
      this I have come across a lot of history about the F J & G railroad.  Even
      if I lose my fight with the city,  it will have been worth the historical
      education I have gotten.

      There is a lot of information on the railroad and how it was effected by
      the Sacandaga available in the basement of the records department in the
      county building.  There are maps and deeds.  Some of the deeds tell a story
      all their own.  Again, you have done a great job.

      Theresa Hallenbeck
      Gloversville NY

      Visit Gino's F.J.G.R.R. Page at

      in New York State at