15459Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: BJRY 44

    Feb 13, 2013
      Here's some insite from our own Paul K Larner.  This was posted to the group a couple of years ago...

      The Burlington Junction Ry No. 44 has been said to be the FJ&G 30  (nee WOD 47) however the serial numbers do not match.  FJ&G No. 30 was serial number 15051; the BJ, according to one on line source is 17864, ex USAX.  So some more digging is needed to verify where the 30 went after it left Colorado.  PAul Charland and Aaron Keler have done some searching on this critter.  Need to confirm via serial numbers.  I'll post if I can find anything more concrete, short of a road trip to Illinois or Iowa.

      Further regards the BJ Ry No. 44, based on the serial number and appearance this may be a former US Army 65 tonner, built 1943.

      I checked a Great Western roster: their No. 40 is ex D&RGW, the No. 44 serial number 146012 is not kosher for an "as built" GE locomotive of this type.  Perhaps a rebuilt number???

      FJ&G sold the locomotive to Whisler Equipment Company, shipping it to Swissvale, Pa. on May 29, 1967.  Whisler had the locomotive sold to Cargill at least as early as April 14, 1967.  FJ&G sent their spare parts directly to Cargill.

      From the photo we know the loco went to Denver and I thought I was told it later went to Loveland or Longmont for a spell.

      PKL

      On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 11:00 PM, Aaron Keller <akeller_1979@...> wrote:

      I went to see this unit when I moved from Missouri and back to New York in 2009.

      There are several spotter's features on that unit that are unlike any other 44-tonner I have ever seen either in person or in photographs.  Namely, the FJ&G cut the original marker lights off each of the corners of the noses and replaced them with the FJ&G's own steam-era-like marker lamps.  You can see evidence of the work in the images we have of the unit.  Specifically, the corners of the noses have riveted plates in place where the marker lights would have been.  This is work the FJ&G performed on the unit and BJRY No. 44 is exactly like FJ&G No. 30 in this instance.

      My gut instinct is that it is No. 30 as no other known 44-tonner has these types of riveted plates on the corners of the noses.

      Had I more time to investigate the unit on my drive home from Missouri, I would have sought out a frame number or other markings by asking the railroad if I could look the unit.  The builder's plates were long gone.  I also would have attempted to do a few paint chip analyses if I had permission.

      http://fjgrr.org
      http://ginosrailpage.com
      http://ginostrolleypage.com
      http://ginosrailblog.blogspot.com/