15014RE: [FJGRailroad] KAMX Tankcars

    Feb 28, 2011
      Good morning Paul,
      When using the Sanborn maps it's important to bear in mind their purpose delineate structures, their structual composition, relative location with regard to other structures and safety or prevention accoutrements for the purpose of insurance ratings.  They did not attempt to accurately represent the adjacent railroad track layout other than to indicate its existence.  As I found with the FJ&G, Rutland and CV, tracks inside of building would be properly shown due to their influence on fire safety.  Outside tracks would be indicated, too, however the presence and location of switches (or lack thereof) cannot be considered to be accurate, only illustrative.

      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      From: p.charlie@...
      Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 06:54:30 -0500
      Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] KAMX Tankcars

      Hi Jerry,

      Thanks a bunch, haven't see the first map showing the Sanford mill
      before. Would you happen to have a later version showing more track,
      trying to figure out when the nine concrete silos where built.

      I wonder if K&M bought the tankcars slightly used then, the builder's
      date on the cars is 1920.

      Paul :-)

      On 27/02/2011 10:00 PM, Jerry Snyder wrote:
      > Paul, I dug these maps out for you - thought they may help. They are
      > from 1926 - I have not had a chance to compare them to the 1958 ones
      > yet to see what may have changed in the later years. There is also a
      > section of the ACN to the east of the map showing the K&M plant (with
      > the Turner construction, lumber yard, and coal yard) that I was not
      > able to get this time but can do in a couple weeks. BTW, K&M
      > received their 10 tank cars in August of 1924 - found the newspaper
      > article (but nothing later on the 3 dome car). Jerry

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic