14992Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Amsterdam Enginehouse? FOUND IT

  • Jerry Snyder
    Feb 19, 2011
    • 1 Attachment
    • 344 KB
    Gentlemen,
    I just found an enginehouse in Amsterdam.  I have been going through my Sanborn maps on the light table trying to reconstruct earlier information (they are 1926 maps but have layers of paste-up revisions on them up through 1958).  Unfortunatwely, I have no way of knowing when each layer went in, so all I can say at this point is that sometime after 1926 an enginhouse was constructed at the west end of the "Mill Canyon" in the Sanford Carpet Mills complex.  The attached shows its location.  The building scales out to 12 X 26, tracks entering from the east (right).  The southwest (lower rear) corner was 10 feet east and 10 feet north of the corner of the mill building just below it.  According to the map legend it was a metal clad frame structure.  As this was all Sanford's privately owned industrial siding, I assume it was a Sanford building.  I know it wasn't there in the early 1970's when I worked in one of the sweatshops in the old mills during the summer.
    Jerry

  • Show all 3 messages in this topic