14983Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Amsterdam Enginehouse?

    Feb 13, 2011
      Hi Jerry,

      First off, thanks for uploading the ACN photos, some I've seen before,
      many not. They will come in handy when I start modeling the mill in a
      week or so.

      I did have a question about one photo that said the last linseed oil was
      shipped out in 1946... I was under the impression they stopped
      production in 1938 and in the 40s the mill became an oil distribution
      facility... oil, as in motor oil or maybe gasoline. Which date would be

      The lack of a coaling facility is getting to be less of a surprise,
      there were a few "coaling facilities" on the CN that were merely an OCS
      hopper on a siding that they pulled up beside and coal was shoved from
      the hopper to the tender... maybe that's the case here.

      Paul :-)

      On 13/02/2011 1:19 PM, handyman756 wrote:
      > Paul, I spent a good part of Friday digging through the archives in
      > Fonda. If there was ever an engine house in Amsterdam (at least
      > within the city limits) it isn't reflected on any of the maps (unless
      > it was pre-1895) or listed in any of the city directories. Some of
      > the later maps extend all the way to the eastern city limits, several
      > blocks beyond Elk Street, but not as far as the yard and AC&N
      > connection to the NYC. A review of the 1923 Kelloggs& Miller photos
      > and maps does not show any structures other than the scale houses
      > with tracks running into them. As far as coaling facilities, there
      > were several commercial coal houses located along the length of the
      > NYC in the city but no indication of a railroad coaling facility.
      > Jerry
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic