14956Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Amsterdam, NY

    Feb 8, 2011
      I thought the belt line went down Vrooman Street Hill.  I figured it had to cross the ACN right at the top of the hill.  Aren't there stories about heavy duty breaks being used because of Vrooman?  Maybe the busses went down Vrooman and I'm confusing a story?

      Gino

      On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 11:14 AM, Jerry Snyder <handyman756@...> wrote:

      Paul,
      Your description is very close to the alternate I mentioned with the line running up James Street.  The rest of that one had it following the path you describe with Edson St. and Forest Ave.  That would make more sense than running it through the 5 corners, but that is the only map of the line that I have.  I've never been able to find a map showing it laid out as you describe, just the text description.  The map I sent Paul isn't dated but as it mentions Mohawk Mills Park it must be post 1934 when the name changed from Jollyland.  I know the Belt Line was shut down by then so maybe my map isn't accurate.  Given that the area where the lines crossed wasn't really very developed at the time, it would explain why none of the city directories note a street crossing.
      Jerry

      --- On Sun, 2/6/11, Paul Larner <pklarner@...> wrote:

      From: Paul Larner <pklarner@...>
      Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Re: Amsterdam, NY
      To: "FJGRailroad" <fjgrailroad@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Sunday, February 6, 2011, 10:31 AM

      The Belt line crossed the AC&N once.

      After ascending Vrooman Ave. the line went left on Edward St. to a point that would be Pulaski St. today, where it turned right. Between there and Teller St. the AC&N was crossed at grade.  Turning left into Teller St. (laid out, but not an improved street at this time period) the line proceeded to James where it went right to Edson St. then left in Edson and across Church St.  After crossing Church the line went onto private right of way turning north and running several hundred feet parallel to Forest Avenue.  At this time, late twenties, Forest Avenue, like Teller Street, does not appear to be an improved street. After passing under the high tension wires, the belt line moves into the center of Forest Ave.  At Clarke St. the line follows the north side of Clarke to Sloane Ave., then to Clizbe and onto Rockton Jct.   Intermediate turnouts were on Teller St. and Forest Ave. shortly before the turn onto Clarke.

      PKL

      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      From: handyman756@...
      Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 06:28:53 +0000
      Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Amsterdam, NY

      Gino,
      The Amsterdam Belt Linn didn't cross the ACN on Vrooman Ave. The Belt Line turned off of Vrooman and went west on Edward Street before it got far enough north to hit the ACN. Depending on which map you believe, the Belt Line either crossed the ACN on James Street right where Kellogg Street joined James, or it ran diagonally from the intersection of Edward and James into that wonderful intersection we Amsterdamians call the "5 Corners". If that was the route it would have had to cross the ACN twice, once on the line going to Kellogg & Millers and the Sanford complex and again on the line running up to Smellie & Vorhees paper mill and the Upper Mohawk Mills. So far I haven't been able to pin down the exact route in that area.
      Jerry

      --
      http://fjgrr.org
      http://ginosrailpage.com