      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      From: handyman756@...
      Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 06:28:53 +0000
      Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Amsterdam, NY

      Gino,
      The Amsterdam Belt Linn didn't cross the ACN on Vrooman Ave. The Belt Line turned off of Vrooman and went west on Edward Street before it got far enough north to hit the ACN. Depending on which map you believe, the Belt Line either crossed the ACN on James Street right where Kellogg Street joined James, or it ran diagonally from the intersection of Edward and James into that wonderful intersection we Amsterdamians call the "5 Corners". If that was the route it would have had to cross the ACN twice, once on the line going to Kellogg & Millers and the Sanford complex and again on the line running up to Smellie & Vorhees paper mill and the Upper Mohawk Mills. So far I haven't been able to pin down the exact route in that area.
      Jerry

      --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Kelly's Heros" <fjgrailroad@...> wrote:

      > Paul Larner knows these answers for sure! What map did you download? Don't forget, the Amsterdam BeltLine crossed the ACN on Vrooman Ave.
      >
      > Gino
      >
      > --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, Paul Charland <p.charlie@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi All,
      > >
      > > I'm working on the Kellogg Branch in Microsoft Train Sim. Originally I
      > > was going to do a '70s version of the branch but have been thinking of
      > > backdating what I have to the late 30s when the line used an 0-8-0 for
      > > power, the Kellogg and Miller linseed oil plant was still active and the
      > > FJ&G was still running the electric division through Amsterdam.
      > >
      > > I'm looking for any maps or photos that would show the line, I've been
      > > able to download a 1931 map that appears to show a double track mainline
      > > coming off East Main Street, turning southeast before it starts to
      > > parallel the NYC yard... might even be where the eastbound lanes of
      > > (new) Route 5 are now. If this is so, how did the NYC's Kellogg Branch
      > > and the FJ&G trackage cross, at grade, or did the NYC have the ramp and
      > > overpass they have now back then?
      > >
      > > Any help would be appreciated.
      > >
      > > Paul :-)

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic