      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com; fjgrailroad@yahoogroups.com
      From: mdhorton@...
      Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 21:00:53 -0500
      Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] A 'powerful' question

      Somewhere I have a photograph of the interior of the Ingham Mills statiion. In addition the the main (vertical shaft) generators, it shows a horizontal shaft frequency changer motor-generator set which looks like itt was big enough to power the F J and G trolley load. This set would make 25 Hertz power from locally generated 60 Hertz power and transmit it to Tribes Hill. If the Ingham Mills power failed, locally generated 25 Hertz power at Tribes Hill would have to take over. Hence Tribes Hill power would have to be instantly available at all times. To remain indepent of Tribes Hill power, new 60 hertz synchronous converters would have to be installed at Johstown, Amsterdam and Glenville to make the 600 volt direct current needed by the trolleys. When this was eventually done, Tribes Hill could then be abandonned.
      A book entitled "Lure of the Valley" by Anson Getman, describes his work as a lawyer in getting a right-of-way for the power transmission line from Ingham Mills to Tribes Hill.
      Malcolm Horton
      From: akeller_1979@ yahoo.com
      Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 23:21:30 -0800

      One facet of the electrification saga which I know little about is the shutdown of Tribes Hill and the connection of the FJ&G to the Ighams Mills power project.  Has anyone gone very far in their research of this area?

      I believe a photo of Ingham's Mills was in the freight house safe when the building came down.  Maybe not.  I'm getting old and clearly feeble minded.

      Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft's powerful SPAM protection. Sign up now.
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic