13859RE: [FJGRailroad] Railfest

    Jul 10, 2009
      I am in and as long as I am looking around for a job I can help with the arrangements.

      To: fjgrailroad@yahoogroups.com
      From: pklarner@...
      Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 17:20:28 -0400
      Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Railfest

      Re reading Gordon's message I am inclined to agree that if this get together is possible this year, that is if enough of us choose to meet at Gloversville, it might be better to allow a couple months notice.  We are a bit late for this summer in as much as most of us set our plans well before now.  How's late September or early October (foliage season)?  Also I will be able to make it.

      Now, we have three volunteers to pull it together, Aaron, Jerry and John.  That's more than we've had in the past so can we assume a date will be set and an agenda that can be executed aranged?

      PKL

      To: fjgrailroad@ yahoogroups. com
      From: pklarner@hotmail. com
      Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 17:10:49 -0400

      Hello Gordon,

      Yes, its an annual event. The Gloversville Chamber of Commerce promotes the city and rail trail with an annual festival titled Railfest.  What we FJ&G group members decided to do a few yars ago was coordinate our annual (now semi-annual) get together with the festival both to perhaps increase interest in the FJ&G and also, because we chose to hold our pressentation at the Fulton County Historical society museum, boost their attendance that day as well.  The last meeting at the Museum was very successful.

      That is the connection with railfest.  There really is none other than the how interested citizens were invited to participate in our public show and tell session.  In the previous years we were on either the weekend before or after Railfest.  Gino is correct, I will be at the Railfest promoting my history of the FJ&G, thus unable to participate in the day's events until after perjaps four p.m.

      All of the preceding get togethers have been excellent days spent touring, walking and show and tell, culminating with a group dinner at the Railyard restaurant in Gloversville.  There is a lot left to explore so this could turn into a great event this year too.

      The trip over the Mountain Lake route would be great opportunity to view the site and experience the topography of a major event in Fulton county railroad history, even if not related directly to the FJ&G.  The bus trip is another opportunity which, as a charter, could be expanded to revisit the entire FJ&G bus routes in Fulton and Montgomery county, i.e. the steam division and local routes converted from steam and trolley in 1930.  Plus there is always "show and tell" time where Q&A and sharing of our finds and treasures occurs.

      PKL

      To: FJGRailroad@ yahoogroups. com
      From: gdavis4@twcny. rr.com
      Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 22:47:26 +0000
      Subject: [FJGRailroad] Railfest

      I must be somewhat out of the loop re; Railfest. Is this some annual event in Fulton County?
      I'd like to participate, however it seems a bit short on notice time for me to change my plans.
      Gordon Davis

      Windows Live™ Hotmail®: Spread the word when you add celeb photos to your e-mails. Check it out.

      Windows Live™ Hotmail®: Find, add, and share the best celeb pics, right from Hotmail. Check it out.

      Windows Live™ Hotmail®: Find, add, and share the best celeb pics, right from Hotmail. Check it out.
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic