13540RE: [FJGRailroad] The Missing Link!

  • slamora1@nycap.rr.com
    Mar 11 7:04 AM
      Paul

      It would be great to see the data or averages of daily or even weekly freightcar inbound or outbound cars.To get an idea what companys received the most buissness or just a car here and there thats the one thing I've been most interested in finding out almost like an customer report. We all know that most movements were inbound loads but did GloveCity Coal get one car every two days or was it once a week? Things like that interst me.

      Steve Lamora

      Cant wait to get the book Paul!!!!!

      ---- Paul Larner <pklarner@...> wrote:

      > Fortunately there were people who knew there was wisdom in saving it. There is still a cellar full of paper from over the paint shop in Gloversville. Trouble with this paper: it's priceless while having no value. Secondly those who salvaged it are now at the point of needing to find someone else to keep it. This material I'm going through now is mostly junk largely because of the amount of duplicate recording of information done by the railroads. Waybills, freight bills, demurrage records, short and over reports, loss and damage all reveal the same information regarding traffic. There's is only so much worth saving but which is the more precious and which is redundant to the point of being useless? BTW, I have a sneaking suspicion some of those blueprints still exist.
      >

      > PKL
      >

      > To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      > From: fjgrailroad@...
      > Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 19:28:53 -0400
      > Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] The Missing Link!
      >

      > If there had been eBay in 1995, perhaps the blueprints in the attic may still be around!
      > I want to say that amy people view more items as "collectibles" now, which may have
      > been viewed as "junk" in the past...
      >
      > Gino
      >

      > On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 6:50 PM, Aaron Keller <akeller_1979@...> wrote:
      >

      > The JFK files were unfortunately not in the freight house. Perhaps it would have been a good place to store such things, however, as it seems no one went up to the attic before the building came down.
      >
      > The front of the building as we know had two stories. The downstairs (slightly elevated from the concrete addition of the 1950s) was once home to the local freight agent and I believe there was a counter inside for paying freight bills. The counter was long gone when the building came down.
      >
      > The second floor was empty when the building was torn down. The edges of the roof of the second floor were gabled so as to allow the roof to continue upward at the appropriate slope.
      >
      > In the very top of the building was an attic of the old-fashioned type; a trap door opened to what must have been a crawl space; and in that crawl space I am told were blueprints to Sacandaga Park and other buildings on the line. The City of Gloversville destroyed those records even though I had asked for all material and paperwork to be saved and placed one of two places: either in the city archives, if they wanted it, or in my hands, if they didn't. Ultimately I was told that the records were thrown in the Gloversville dump.
      >
      > No one believed that there was anything in the crawl space, so the story of the demolition was related to me on the afternoon the building came down. City crews pulled down the back of the building and all the documents came loose and went flying. When I got done with school I went down there to find many of the records laying in the mud. The rest had already been carted away.

> [...]
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic