13523Re: [FJGRailroad] Northville Div. Abandonment

    Mar 10, 2009
      I too have heard that all the rail is gone.

      Back in around 1993 the water was lowered substantially so as to allow for some type of work at Conklingville.  The lowering of the water allowed many of us, myself included, to walk out on the reservoir using the old roads.  It is amazing how much junk is down there.  The roads all still exist as do the foundations.  It was possible to pick out where someone once had a well; or where someone had a sidewalk; the lattice brick work on someone's porch was visible; as were the pieces of china and glass that were just left behind by families that didn't care to have them any longer.  Of course all that I could find was broken by the demolition.

      There are hundreds if not thousands of dead tree stumps that remain underwater on the north end of the Vly.

      What also interested me is that the original channels still exist for the streams that fed the Sacandaga; when the water went down, the old streams went right back into the confines of their original banks.

      For some reason I did not take many pictures of the low water.