13304RE: [FJGRailroad] Vails Mills

    May 1, 2008
      Yes, Mohawk Cabinet became Hussman's; that plant didn't exist in your time frame, nor did their spur or the one south of the not yet built Rte. 30 A.  From Vails Mills you had to have pretty good vision to see the Broadalbin tool house it was around a slight curve beyond the switch of the VM spur and nearly a mile distant.  Kasson's and Rupert's were the first and second crossings, respectively, east of Broadalbin, Jct.  I have heard that at one time there was a milk platform at Kasson's, but earlier than your plan.

      > To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      > From: p.charlie@...
      > Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 12:22:11 -0400
      > Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Vails Mills
      > Hi Paul,
      > OK, not sure who Mohawk Cabinet was, would that be Hussmann Industries?
      > I have the concrete shelter drawn and placed just beyond the crossing at
      > Broadalbin Junction.
      > I have the double ended siding with the ERIE cement hopper and can see
      > in the north west background a cement plant. Vails Mills passenger
      > shelter, looking east I can see the famous Broadalbin tool shed and
      > maybe the only Yard limit posts I've seen on the entire line. What were
      > Kasson's and Rupert's?
      > I'm just finishing Gloversville, should be done by the end of today,
      > just placing switchstands, signs, and a bit of scenery work. Should be
      > posting a beta and some screen shots tomorrow.
      > Paul :-)
      > Paul Larner wrote:
      > > Paul
      > >
      > > I was thinking about your timing the railroad pre July 1956.
      > >
      > > After leaving Kingsboro Ave. station the next spur was east of the
      > > road crossing at Vail Mills, between a country road and the track.
      > > The arterial turnout, the arterial (Rte 30A), Mohawk Cabinet did not
      > > yet exist. There was the concrete register and phone shelter at
      > > Broadalbin Jct., also section signs, 3/4 at the register shelter, 4/6
      > > at the former location of the junction switch. The was an tool and
      > > warm up house,board and batten style, on the east/south side of the
      > > track, half-way between Kasson's and Rupert's, and a low pole line
      > > with two wires on the east or south side of the track also. Until
      > > you arrived at the Yard Limit sign for Broadalbin there was nothing
      > > else in addition to the Vail's Mills waiting room. Highway crossing
      > > signs were not cross bucks, but NYState diamond style.
      > >
      > > PKL
      > <*> Your email settings:
      > Individual Email | Traditional
      > <*> To change settings online go to:
      > (Yahoo! ID required)
      > <*> To change settings via email:
      > mailto:FJGRailroad-digest@yahoogroups.com
      > mailto:FJGRailroad-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Make i'm yours. Create a custom banner to support your cause.
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic