13158Re: [FJGRailroad] NYC Derailment 1947

  • Gerald Snyder
    Feb 2, 2008
      I just posted two more photos which I received today
      of the 1947 NYC derailment. Checked the archives and
      found the Mohawk Valley Democrat (Fonda weekly paper)
      from 7/24/47. The wreck was, of course, the lead
      story:
      "Fonda Was Scene of Bad Freight Wreck"
      "Worst Wreck of Kind on New York Central Tied Up All
      Four Tracks 33 Cars Crumpled Up When Locomotive Hits
      Small Work Car and is Derailed in Front of Station
      Property Damage Was Large But Only Injury was to
      Engineer Whose Wrist was Broken"

      The main details of the story are as Charlie said.
      The story notes that that the small workcar which the
      eastbound freight struck was carrying an air
      compressor and was located just opposite the FJ&G
      turntable when the collision occured. Derailing cars
      from the eastbound struck the cars of a westbound
      local freight, causing 5 boxcars to derail to the
      south and block the other tracks. 24 of the 33 cars
      involved were carrying coal, with 1500 tons ending up
      on the ground. Two work trains were sent from Albany
      and Utica for the cleanup, which was completed by the
      following Tuesday night. An estimated 25,000 people
      were in Fonda on Friday to view the scene, and 20
      railroad police were assigned to crowd control. The
      story notes that the FJ&G diesel was tied up in the
      Fonda freightyard by the wreck and wasn't freed until
      the following Wednesday.
      Jerry

      Looking for last minute shopping deals?