12590RE: [FJGRailroad] Odds & end

    May 29, 2007
      That's West Albany yard and the site of the former shops.  Quite a lot of history in that dirt.  The yard is serviced from the Carmen Branch.  Just west of there the NYC had a large yard system, which lasted till the cutoff and Selkirk were built.  At one point in the late 19th century Karner Yard was the largest classification yard in the world.  Freight cars needing to be taken to the shop, I am told were often dropped down to the shop yards.

      In my research for FJ&G information I came across an article describing the construction of the yard and its capacities.  If I made a copy of it, however, I did not include it in with the FJ&G notes, thus can't put my finger on it.

      PKL

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic