12571Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: OLD ST. CECILIA'S IN FONDA

    May 25, 2007
      Hi Glenn,

      Thanks for the help. Any idea when the Legion moved out of St.
      Cecilia's, the only reference on line to "Floyd Deckro American Legion"
      turned up one site that listed the post, must be the book your mother
      helped write:

      http://content.ancestry.netscape.com/iexec/?htx=BookList&dbid=17495&offerid=0%3a7858%3a0

      All chapters are links but they go nowhere.

      Paul :-)

      Glenn J. Williams wrote:

      > If I understand what Paul is asking about, it is the old, now collapsed red brick building
      > directly across NY 5 from the gas station (Speedway, I believe). This was the original St.
      > Cecilia's Roman Catholic Church. When the current church was built on Broadway, the old
      > building was deconsecrated and became the post.
      >
      > The stone church across from the apartment building (just west of where the NYC freight
      > house used to be) is the former Zion Episcopal Church building. It has been empty since
      > the parish was closed in the late 1930s. It was still standing as of the last FJ&G Get
      > Together in 2005.
      >
      > I have dates of construction and closure for the churches in my Fonda Centennial booklet,
      > which my mother helped write and publish in 1950. While I cannot put my hands on it at
      > the moment, I know I have it around somewhere. Hopefully I will find it after I retire on
      > the Oneth of June.
      >
      > Glenn
      > Penacook, NH
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic