  • Glenn J. Williams
    May 24, 2007
      > --- Paul Charland <p.charlie@...> wrote:
      > > Hi All,
      > >
      > > I'm wondering if OLD ST. CECILIA'S church that once
      > > stood in Fonda on Rt
      > > 5 is the same church that was across the road from
      > > the red apartment
      > > buildings that were next to the NYC freighthouse. I
      > > have a photo from
      > > about 1986 that show a white brick church that looks
      > > abandoned that
      > > looks similar but not 100% convinced they are one
      > > and the same.
      > >
      > > http://www.lostlandmarks.org/fondagrange.html
      > >
      > > If not, does anyone have a rough idea when the
      > > church across from the
      > > apartments closed?
      > >
      > > Paul :-)

      If I understand what Paul is asking about, it is the old, now collapsed red brick building
      directly across NY 5 from the gas station (Speedway, I believe). This was the original St.
      Cecilia's Roman Catholic Church. When the current church was built on Broadway, the old
      building was deconsecrated and became the Floyd Deckro American Legion post.

      The stone church across from the apartment building (just west of where the NYC freight
      house used to be) is the former Zion Episcopal Church building. It has been empty since
      the parish was closed in the late 1930s. It was still standing as of the last FJ&G Get
      Together in 2005.

      I have dates of construction and closure for the churches in my Fonda Centennial booklet,
      which my mother helped write and publish in 1950. While I cannot put my hands on it at
      the moment, I know I have it around somewhere. Hopefully I will find it after I retire on
      the Oneth of June.

      Penacook, NH
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic