12452Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: NYSW

    Mar 22, 2007

      Railroad funding since 2001 could exceed $17 million

      By: Michael McGuire, Sun Staff Writer

      Published on: Thursday, March 22, 2007

      CHENANGO COUNTY – The New York State Department of Transportation said Tuesday that the New York Susquehanna & Western railroad's operations statewide have received $12 million in funding since 2001.

      NYS&W confirmed Monday that the company is now asking for $5.6 million to repair and upgrade its lines, including a roughly 40-mile stretch between Sherburne and Chenango Forks that has been closed since June due to flood damage.

      "We've asked for it," said railroad spokesman Nathan Fenno. "We don't know if we'll get it."

      Fenno said the NYS&W would not be using the money to develop passenger service, as was reported Monday based on a letter from Empire State Development chairman Patrick Foye. Instead, the money would be used for general upgrades and flood repairs, Fenno said.

      On 3/22/07, Mark Wilber <mwilber2001@...> wrote:

      Gino- We own the Southern Tier from Binghamton to Port Jervis,then NJT owns from Port Jervis east.The problem with passenger trains on the southern tier is that the best speed a train can do is 35mph to 40mph. Its all curves along the Delaware River.Nobody wants to travel by rail if its going to take 7 hours by rail when you can travel to NYC in 4 hours by bus.Mark