12382RE: [FJGRailroad] FJ&G on MSTS

    Feb 6, 2007
      Make sure that your train simulator includes the low joint at the Rt 29
      grade crossing next to the laudromat where I can watch the rails move just
      like back when I was a wee lad accompanying my Mom into town.

      >From: Paul Charland <p.charlie@...>
      >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [FJGRailroad] FJ&G on MSTS
      >Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 10:52:41 -0500
      >
      >Hi All,
      >
      >Seeing as I have no room for a real FJ&G layout I've started to
      >seriously consider drawing the FJ&G in MicroSoft Train Sim. I've talked
      >to Gino about the idea and he's mentioned this to Toby Schwartzman.
      >Toby has drawn a set of Thrall boxcars in CACV and FJ&G and has the
      >beginnings of FJ&G 20 in the works. I'm just starting to learn how to
      >create things in MSTS, just in time for MicroSoft to announce they are
      >coming out with version 2 of the program and have not let anyone know if
      >the original files will work in the new version.
      >
      >I still think this is a good idea, I have plenty of space on my hard
      >drive to operate a complete version of the FJ&G compared to not having
      >space for a cramped model railroad.
      >
      >Toby asked the other day what era the MSTS version should be. I thought
      >about it and with the limitations of the current train sim, I started
      >thinking the Penn Central years. In MSTS you can have to computer run
      >trains that you set up when you create activities to simulate. You can
      >use these for passing trains and set up meets but you can't get the
      >computer to, let's say, set out a cut of cars at the interchange. You
      >could set up the Broadalbin mixed to return to Gloversville but after
      >the train stops it would disappear. My thoughts about setting the era
      >to the late '60s or early '70s would that the FJ&G would pretty much
      >operate as a one crew railroad and therefore the only computer
      >controlled trains would be the PC run-through trains that would be sort
      >of neat to see as you make up your train in Fonda.
      >
      >If anyone has any thought about this I'd sure like to hear them.
      >
      >Paul :-)

      something more.
      http://click4thecause.live.com/search/charity/default.aspx?source=hmemtagline_gratitude&FORM=WLMTAG
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic