12003Re: [FJGRailroad] NSL Cars

    Jul 22, 2006
      The M&NJ had the same problem. Cars were being returned and they literally
      had to get out a chainsaw and clear the south end of the M&NJ ROW so they
      had a place to store them. In the M&NJ's case they only used the first five
      miles of the line so this meant that the south end of the railroad, which
      had not seen a wheel in the rails in many many years had to be cleared. They
      discovered that in a couple of places someone had actually removed some of
      the rails.

      >From: Paul Charland <p.charlie@...>
      >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] NSL Cars
      >Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 07:26:56 -0400
      >
      >Hi Gino and Aaron,
      >
      >At the height of "Shortline Fever" the NSL owned over 2000 50' boxcars
      >under the "Incentive per Diem" program. There were so many railroads
      >involved in this program they could not get a builder to build cars for
      >them at a reasonable time so they started building them themselves (cars
      >came as "kits" and were assembled in Ogdensburg but NSL). The couldn't
      >buy enough trucks so the had a builder in Germany build trucks to North
      >American standards and ship them to the port of Ogdensburg.
      >
      >The Incentive per Diem program was to increase the supply of decent
      >boxcars and any money a railroad made had to go back into increasing
      >their fleet of boxcars. This was a really big success and NSL was one
      >of the more successful participants until the program came to an abrupt
      >halt one day as there was a glut of boxcars out there (April 1st 1981 if
      >I recall). Almost over night these per diem cars were returned to their
      >owners. When you have 20 miles (yes, miles) of 50' boxcars returned to
      >you in about a two week period and you only have about 12 miles of
      >mainline you start getting into trouble. The NSL was forced to pay many
      >railroads in the northeast to store large numbers of cars. Just off the
      >top of my head I remember see NSL cars stored on Conrail at Massena and
      >Watertown NY, Waterbury VT on the CV and from reading this list, the
      >FJ&G also stored NSL cars, I'm sure there were many others. This lead to
      >bargain basement prices for fairly new boxcars in pretty good condition
      >and by the summer of '81 you could see ex-NSL boxcars running around
      >with new reporting marks. Some of the lines that took advantage of
      >picking up cheap NSL cars were CN, CP, ONT, CV, RBOX, CNW, CR, and I
      >think D&H, pretty sure there were others at the time, I still see these
      >cars go by with strange reporting marks that didn't exist back in the '80s.
      >
      >Paul :-)
      >
      >Aaron Keller wrote:
      > > Gino,
      > >
      > > The Escanaba and Lake Superior has a large fleet of ex- St. Lawrence
      >cars
      > > in service over here. There are dozens of them around Green Bay all the
      > > time.
      > >
      > > -Aaron
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic