11942Engine House ??

    Jun 26, 2006
      I suppose the answer to the "engine house" would depend on when you are
      considering. The principal brick buildings three. The machine shop was the
      long building at the corner of W. Fulton and Broad Street. Locomotives were
      stored in there and I believe No. 340 was quartered in that building. The
      next building, the one with the three tracks into it, was designated as the
      paint shop after 1911, when the new carpenter shop was built at a ninety
      degree angle and connected to the paint shop on the south side. There were
      three other brick buildings in that area owned by the railroad - the stores
      building, blacksmith shop and the foundry building run privately.

      In my experience the diesels 20 and 21 were kept in the paint shop on the
      outside tracks. 30, when active, was probably kept in there also, though it
      was in the new carpenter shop pending sale. I recall the flanger, S-2,
      being kept on the middle track in the sixties. The names - machine, paint
      and carpenter - were used at least as long as old timers still worked the
      railroad. The gas cars, 200, 201, 202, were kept in the north round house.
      202 was in there before being sold.

      My recollections are after the bus business was terminated. Prior to that
      the Paint shop was also the repair shop for trucks and busses and also a
      garage for the trucks until the end of the mail contract in 1964 (trucks
      were also kept in the carpenter shop). The east end of the building was
      reconfigured to a garage style door to facilitate the busses and trucks. I
      recall having heard or read a reference to the paint shop as a bus garage,
      though the old coach house, the long wooden building west and across the
      tracks from the paint and carpenter shops, was used as a bus garage too.

      I have heard that No. 9 spent most of the late thirties and early forties OS
      at the end of track in the machine shop. When No. 8 went over, it was
      quickly put back into service for a couple more years. No. 8 did return to
      service but I don't think she was ever the same; hence No. 9 getting the
      notoriety in the final years of steam on the FJ&G. Some believe No. 9 was
      not as serviceable an engine as the 8 and may never have been returned to
      service had it not been for the Johnstown Road derailment of 8.

      From various photos at different periods it would seem that the different
      tracks in all of the buildings were used for whatever they were available,
      convenient or needed. The machine shop was the primary point of repair for
      all locomotives until the shop was closed, circa 1957. To avoid exposure
      the combines and coach 17 were also put whereever they could be out of harms
      way. The combines were for a time kept in the new coal house, coach 17 in
      the south round house. In busier times, when there were employees working
      mostly around the clock, rolling stock was stored out of doors in the west
      yard.

      Check Rand Warner's notes, posted to this list perhaps four years ago, for
      more information on the period at the end of the forties and early fifties.

      Perhaps Mark can share with us how the buildings were designated and used in
      the DO years.

      PKL

      >From: Paul Charland <p.charlie@...>
      >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Lease units
      >Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 08:21:36 -0400
      >
      >Hi,
      >
      >No, the enginehouse was just to the west of the one you are thinking of,
      >had three tracks going into it from the same track that also served the
      >feed store.
      >
      >Paul :-)
      >
      >oleroadslug wrote:
      > > Was/Is the engine facility, if I remember, the long building that was
      > > turned into a feed store. No, I'm not talking about the coal buildings.
      > >
      > > RJS
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic