11817Re: [FJGRailroad] Mohawk Mills Smokestack

  • Gerald Snyder
    May 5, 2006
      I took some video of the demolition. It really was
      amazingly quiet and graceful. About 12 pounds of
      explosive in a small notch at the base was all it took
      to bring it down after about 94 years of being part of
      the skyline. It's sister stack went down with the
      first big fire at the complex. There was a small
      bang, then it started to go straight down like a
      closing telescope. Halfway down it began to lean
      toward the creek and ended up exactly where they
      wanted it. No thud when it hit, no tremble in the
      ground. Just a small cloud of brown dust that
      dissipated within a minute or two. Amazingly, they
      didn't touch a brick in the steam plant itself. Part
      of the debris ended up in the creek, but within 20
      minutes there was a crew in there with a track shovel
      clearing it out and the flow never even had a chance
      to be disrupted. A very professional and well
      executed job. One of the reporters for the paper
      interviewed me and wanted to know what I thought of
      the whole thing. I told her that I felt like I was
      standing around waiting for the execution of an old
      Glad we got some good pictures the day we hiked back
      in there.