11674Re: [FJGRailroad] Digest Number 1803

    Mar 4, 2006
      Hi Paul,

      Here's a site with a ton of NYC files, scroll down and you will find NYC
      timetables from as far back as the mid-teens:

      http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nyc/nyc.html

      Scroll down a bit more and you will find this 1954 NYC map that includes
      the RW&O line:

      http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nyc/nyc-map54.gif

      This is a nice historic map page that includes this 1883 New York map
      that still has the line labeled RW&O. You'll need to select a zoom, and
      then click on the map in the area of the railroad, but then you can
      either zoom in more, or simply click on the map and follow the line to
      where you want to go:

      http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?gmd:13:./temp/~ammem_7v16::

      Af for "Tower 65", I have a Conrail ETT from '78 that still shows the
      remains of the RW&O line on the Buffalo map but it's only dots like it's
      abandon. There is no reference in the ETT to this line, and no such
      animal as tower in the area. I suspect Conrail refers to towers as
      "CP"s or Control Points and if this is the case I can find CP 61 but no
      CP 65. CP 61 is on a line between Buffalo station and Suspension Bridge
      on what Conrail called the "Niagara Falls Secondary Track". It would
      look like one of the other rail lines that formed Conrail had a parallel
      line which Conrail calls the "Niagara Branch" and this is the line
      Conrail chose over the Niagara Falls Secondary what looks like it would
      have contained CP 65... this line is mentioned in a couple of other
      schedules as connecting to them, just not listed in the ETT.

      Paul :-)

      paul larner wrote:

      > Location of tower 65. Today where the Amtrak trains come in from Toronto
      > they stop for customs just as they come off the bridge. At that point can
      > be seen the remnants ofteh RW&O line which went north to Lewiston and
      > further along the lake shore. This point where the lines crossed was the
      > location of NYC tower 65 which seems to have controlled the junction. For
      > reference I use NYC employee timetable No. 7, Buffalo division.
      >
      > Paul
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic