11669Re: [FJGRailroad] Digest Number 1803

    Mar 4, 2006
      Hi Paul,

      If you type Hojack into Google a number of sites turn up including this
      one with their explanation of the origins of the Hojack nickname for the
      line:

      http://www.webstertrails.org/hojack/hojack.htm

      Paul :-)

      paul larner wrote:
      > Good morning,
      >
      > No, I hadn't seen that particular one. I went to the Hojack line yahoo
      > site, which knew nothing, talked to a couple different town historians and
      > others who had done articles in the area. The "Port Jervis" paper calling
      > the wayfreight a Hojack fits with the connection I made with the speed of
      > the trains and the use of the slow freights by the hobos. The connection to
      > the hobos came from one of the historians up there, who asked his mother for
      > her recollections of the line. She recalled the number of hobos and the
      > hobo camps along the line as well as the migrants who picked the fruit.
      >
      > This is the first published use of the word Hojack that I have seen.
      > Interestingly it is in the area of the Erie Ry. far from northern NY.
      > Importantly the articles indicate such a word was part of the language.
      > Could it be that "hojack was instead a term for a slow freight? From
      > everything I have gathered, a "fast" freight never operated over the line;
      > even their passenger trains ran on leisurely schedules.
      >
      > The rest of the Wikipedia information is in Hungerford's History of the
      > RW&O. Never is the term hojack found.
      >
      > Good information; I can't buy the common explanations given for the term -
      > my "reasonable" test.
      >
      > Paul
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic