11668Re: [FJGRailroad] Digest Number 1803

    Mar 4, 2006
      Good morning,

      No, I hadn't seen that particular one. I went to the Hojack line yahoo
      site, which knew nothing, talked to a couple different town historians and
      others who had done articles in the area. The "Port Jervis" paper calling
      the wayfreight a Hojack fits with the connection I made with the speed of
      the trains and the use of the slow freights by the hobos. The connection to
      the hobos came from one of the historians up there, who asked his mother for
      her recollections of the line. She recalled the number of hobos and the
      hobo camps along the line as well as the migrants who picked the fruit.

      This is the first published use of the word Hojack that I have seen.
      Interestingly it is in the area of the Erie Ry. far from northern NY.
      Importantly the articles indicate such a word was part of the language.
      Could it be that "hojack was instead a term for a slow freight? From
      everything I have gathered, a "fast" freight never operated over the line;
      even their passenger trains ran on leisurely schedules.

      The rest of the Wikipedia information is in Hungerford's History of the
      RW&O. Never is the term hojack found.

      Good information; I can't buy the common explanations given for the term -
      my "reasonable" test.

      Paul

      >From: Paul Charland <p.charlie@...>
      >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Digest Number 1803
      >Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 11:21:44 -0500
      >
      >Have you seen this page of the Wiki:
      >
      >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rome,_Watertown_and_Ogdensburg_Railroad
      >
      >Paul :-)
      >
      >joseph Klapkowski wrote:
      > > There is precious little written about the Hojack west of Oswego.
      >According
      > > to my NYC ETT the hojack actuall ended at a place called Tower 65 which
      >was
      > > somewhere near Niagara Falls. I have an old RW&O public timetable that
      >of
      > > course shows the destination as Suspension Bridge.
      > >
      > > Anyone know where tower 65 was. Better yet anyone belong to the NYC
      > > Historical society ? Maybe some member there would have some info on the
      > > line.
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic