      From: "paul larner"
      2. Re: From the Archives
      From: Dave Brennan

      Message: 1
      Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 00:49:45 -0500
      From: "paul larner"
      Subject: RE: From the Archives Sperry rail Service Part 5

      Ho'jack = Hobo Laborer - referencing the annual influx and departure of
      laborers to pick the fruit and vegetables along the old Lake Ontario Shore
      RR.

      The Ho'jack line was noted for the hobos that used to ride it, probably
      because of the leisurely pace at which the trains ran, compared to the main
      line. While the name has been extended to the entire territory and tracks
      of the former RW&O by some railfans and railroaders, the Hojack was the line
      along the south shore of Lake Ontario and its branches.

      I searched far and wide for the origin of the term and could not
      rationalize the hokey explanations about mules named jack or engineers named
      jack. Anyone who's ever been in a cab of even a slow moving locomotive
      knows no one there would ever hear, much less understand, something hollered
      to a mule or anyone from a crossing ahead, just too much noise. Hungerford
      never refers to the term in his history of the RW&O, published in 1922, well
      after the RW&O was absorbed into the NYC system. From that I deduce the
      term is "line" related rather than "railroad" related.

      After conversations with folks in the region and hearing memories about the
      hobos and their camps all along the line, and the need for temporary
      laborers, I just happened to look in the dictionary. The first definition
      for "jack" given in the dictionary I used was "laborer." Hobo came up
      "migrant worker." Slap!! Hobo laborer > Ho'jack; not unlike lumberjack,
      bootjack, steeplejack etc. A word no longer in the lexicon, if ever. It is
      likely a colloquialism, a contraction, born among the towns along the shore.

      That explanation isn't as cute as some of those quaint stories, but for a
      nickname to apply over the entire breadth of the line, the meaning had to
      originate from some definitive characteristic of that line.

      That's my story and I'm sticking to it; I offer it for what it is.

      PKL

      Message: 2
      Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 05:46:02 -0800 (PST)
      From: Dave Brennan
      Subject: Re: From the Archives

      I enjoy it ! I worked on the NYC tracks for 2 weeks once.
      Dave
      joseph Klapkowski wrote: I can not keep this up nigth after night.........the Pinewood derby is
      coming and I have a work project and a couple of evening engagements coming
      up. Several of you have offered encouragement with this "project". Is there
      anyone else out there who wants to hear more ?

      Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
      http://www.lostlandmarks.org
      http://ny.existingstations.com/

      ---------------------------------