11032Working (on the railroad)

    Apr 30, 2005
      There will be another revolution if our government doesn't figure out a new
      way to redistribute wealth. At some point the working class, middle class,
      will no longer take it. The Industrial Revolution is largely responsible
      for saving the heads of the ruling classes in western Europe and America at
      the turn and following into the ninteenth century. What now for us as our
      US industrialists and our government move our jobs to foreign countries
      while continuing to amass and flaunt their great wealth. What will save
      the US standard of living for the folks who aren't able to fill the fewer
      and fewer well paying jobs?

      It is offered we will be able to invest a portion of our social security in
      the stock market thereby partaking in the joy of belonging to the investing
      class. That paltry percentage of an already small percentage will buy a
      daily cup of coffee as consolation at the end of ones working career. We
      have IRA's and 401k's now that are far better in amount available for
      investment and return. Problem with a company investment plan - you are
      telling your employer your level of surplus income. That should not be any
      of his business. Today twenty or so years later the price is being paid as
      employers force workers to give back in terms of contributions for health
      care, pensions and yes, social security and RRR.

      Amtrak has proposed Amtrak employees only we be taken out of RRR and put in
      SSS and also that we be exempt from the railway labor act. Can you believe
      there are people here that vote Republican. They say they believe the
      Republicans are helping them. We are being asked to contribute to our health
      care while the company won't give us the number of paid sick days the other
      crafts receive. It's a no brainer, a win/win. I'd gladly give a $100 a
      month in contribution for ten days paid leave each year.

      Does the word scumbag come to anyone else's mind.

      PKL

    • Show all 23 messages in this topic