Response to Jaret
I, too, have had a diagnosis of FIP in my household which consists of 42
(Abigail died of leukemia Sunday). I, too, don't feel confident about
bringing in any new cats. Right now we don't have any "active" FIP;
however, everytime a cat gets sick my vet wants to do a FIP test which
always comes back positive. I have finally just told the vet not to even
bother doing the tests. It's a waste of my money and I'm afraid the test
will taint his thinking about what could be wrong and just give up on
treating my cat. Some of my cats are testing negative but you have to
wonder if the virus is just calm or inactive. I don't think I'll ever be
sure anymore of their health.
One of my cats does have diarrhea. He tested "very positive" for FIP.
Nothing has been working. Vet says the FIP is attacking his intestines.
I read on some other list that they used slippery elm powder mixed with
water and given by syringe in the mouth. This particular cat doesn't
like being medicated so it is a real challenge to get much in him. I'll
let you know if it helps. Have you been giving the kitten milk? Some of
my cats love milk but it will give them diarrhea. Or what kibble are you
feeding her? Some of them have milk in them. Have you tried
metronidazol in a larger dosage? Two kittens I took in had severe
diarrhea. The vet kept them for a week and had almost given up when he
just decided to up the dosage, and that stopped the diarrhea. Just some
You might check out some information on Cat Fanciers Association website.
It had some fairly recent (1998) information. I copied it and gave it
to my vet. Haven't heard from him about it.
I rescue a lot of cats too. All are spayed/neutered. It may not be a
good attitude, but I believe that the home and care I provide them is
better than roaming the streets hungry and injured, even IF that home MAY
have FIP. The verdict is still out on this subject (whether we actually
HAVE the virus). But I also know that I can't take in any cats and then
find homes for them because they may possibly have been exposed. I just
can't do that to a prospective adopter. I'm not a breeder of cats but
any rescuees I now find has to go to work with me and kept at the office
until I can find a home for it.
We both face an uncertain future. I would suggest that you NOT get the
two purebred cats and breed them. Possibly in the next year or so the
tests will be more accurate, a vaccine will be developed that is more
reliable than what is currently on the market . I've not heard anything
good about that vaccine. Maybe somebody else has tried it, but I haven't
come across anyone who has used it.
These are just MY opinions. I'm not a vet...just someone who's having to
deal with an issue that no one can agree upon.
I, too, would love to hear from other people who are going through this.
Get the Internet just the way you want it.
Free software, free e-mail, and free Internet access for a month!
Try Juno Web: http://dl.www.juno.com/dynoget/tagj.
Thanks for your response to my post. It sounds like you have quite a bit on
your hands too. My corona-positive cat has always seemed to have a delicate
intestine so I have tried to keep her on just her dry food, though it's hard
not to give out treats when everyone else is getting them... The vet put her
on wet CD, which she absolutely hates - I'm going to try dry and see if
she'll eat it. For about two and a half days she ate next to nothing. I
think she is upset at her new isolation, too. I try to spend a lot of time
with her but it's just not possible to keep her company all the time.
My vet is trying to discourage me from testing the rest of my household,
although I would really like to know where I stand. He just wants to
vaccinate everybody, which could create false positive tests and I'll never
really know who was actually exposed.
I e-mailed the breeder about my situation, which is how we have always
corresponded, but have heard nothing back from her. She's a fairly well
known breeder - her name is in every article I have ever read about these
cats - but I really have several nagging doubts about the nature of our
transaction.. Oh well. If she insists on the sale going through I guess
I'll have to go ahead with it and find them another home. What else can I
Good luck with your very full household, and thank you again for your