Response to Jaret

  • Dale A McPherson
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3, 1999
      Jaret:

      I, too, have had a diagnosis of FIP in my household which consists of 42
      (Abigail died of leukemia Sunday). I, too, don't feel confident about
      bringing in any new cats. Right now we don't have any "active" FIP;
      however, everytime a cat gets sick my vet wants to do a FIP test which
      always comes back positive. I have finally just told the vet not to even
      bother doing the tests. It's a waste of my money and I'm afraid the test
      will taint his thinking about what could be wrong and just give up on
      treating my cat. Some of my cats are testing negative but you have to
      wonder if the virus is just calm or inactive. I don't think I'll ever be
      sure anymore of their health.

      One of my cats does have diarrhea. He tested "very positive" for FIP.
      Nothing has been working. Vet says the FIP is attacking his intestines.
      I read on some other list that they used slippery elm powder mixed with
      water and given by syringe in the mouth. This particular cat doesn't
      like being medicated so it is a real challenge to get much in him. I'll
      let you know if it helps. Have you been giving the kitten milk? Some of
      my cats love milk but it will give them diarrhea. Or what kibble are you
      feeding her? Some of them have milk in them. Have you tried
      metronidazol in a larger dosage? Two kittens I took in had severe
      diarrhea. The vet kept them for a week and had almost given up when he
      just decided to up the dosage, and that stopped the diarrhea. Just some
      thoughts.

      You might check out some information on Cat Fanciers Association website.
      It had some fairly recent (1998) information. I copied it and gave it
      to my vet. Haven't heard from him about it.

      I rescue a lot of cats too. All are spayed/neutered. It may not be a
      good attitude, but I believe that the home and care I provide them is
      better than roaming the streets hungry and injured, even IF that home MAY
      have FIP. The verdict is still out on this subject (whether we actually
      HAVE the virus). But I also know that I can't take in any cats and then
      find homes for them because they may possibly have been exposed. I just
      can't do that to a prospective adopter. I'm not a breeder of cats but
      any rescuees I now find has to go to work with me and kept at the office
      until I can find a home for it.

      We both face an uncertain future. I would suggest that you NOT get the
      two purebred cats and breed them. Possibly in the next year or so the
      tests will be more accurate, a vaccine will be developed that is more
      reliable than what is currently on the market . I've not heard anything
      good about that vaccine. Maybe somebody else has tried it, but I haven't
      come across anyone who has used it.

      These are just MY opinions. I'm not a vet...just someone who's having to
      deal with an issue that no one can agree upon.

      I, too, would love to hear from other people who are going through this.

      Dale (Ann)
    • JARET BOGAN
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 6, 1999
        Dale
        Thanks for your response to my post. It sounds like you have quite a bit on
        your hands too. My corona-positive cat has always seemed to have a delicate
        intestine so I have tried to keep her on just her dry food, though it's hard
        not to give out treats when everyone else is getting them... The vet put her
        on wet CD, which she absolutely hates - I'm going to try dry and see if
        she'll eat it. For about two and a half days she ate next to nothing. I
        think she is upset at her new isolation, too. I try to spend a lot of time
        with her but it's just not possible to keep her company all the time.

        My vet is trying to discourage me from testing the rest of my household,
        although I would really like to know where I stand. He just wants to
        vaccinate everybody, which could create false positive tests and I'll never
        really know who was actually exposed.

        I e-mailed the breeder about my situation, which is how we have always
        corresponded, but have heard nothing back from her. She's a fairly well
        known breeder - her name is in every article I have ever read about these
        cats - but I really have several nagging doubts about the nature of our
        transaction.. Oh well. If she insists on the sale going through I guess
        I'll have to go ahead with it and find them another home. What else can I
        do?

        Good luck with your very full household, and thank you again for your
        resonse.
        Jaret