newly diagnosed

  • scarletmood13
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 8, 2003
      My cat Leo was diagnosed today with FIP and he may only have another
      month to live. My other two cats have been exposed to this virus as
      well. I guess I will have to wait and see if they both get this
      virus or not. Is there any hope???
    • Susan Saba
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 8, 2003
        Read the story of Tanner on www.21cats.org It is the only hopeful story
        I read on FIP. They were able to treat their cats with Interferon.

        I am really sorry about your kitty. It will be four weeks tomorrow
        since I lost my little 8 month old furbaby.

        If I were you I would talk to Taz and Tanner's mom. She is on this
        group and I am sure she will be happy to talk to you. I don't know about
        what you want to do with the other cats. You certainly don't want them
        to catch it. Although my experience has been cats can carry around the
        coronavirus and never get sick from it. it's just the little babies who
        have never been exposed that we have to watch out for. My veterinarian
        never told me about FIP and just warned me that my cat would be bored
        and lonely being an indoor only single cat. So my first weekend at law
        school, I asked the girl whose apartment is next to mine if the kitten
        could play with her cats for the weekend. Well he came home with a
        scratch on his ear and nose. (They also pass it through their litter and
        food, which is probably why you don't want Leo around the other
        two....although if you get them tested for the coronavirus they might
        come up high with it and not get sick...the cats across the hall aren't
        sick, although they definitely aren't playful)

        Anyway, I am sorry I am rambling on and on. If you want to hold on to
        your little guy for awhile find a vet who is willing to work with you. I
        didn't take mine in until the very end because I didn't know it was the
        end. He hadn't been eating full meals for a month, but we had had a gas
        leak so I thought it was the fumes. I just kept buying him new treats
        and toys trying to get him interested in food and life again. Once he
        went in he never came home and deteriorated quickly. But given the cycle
        of dry FIP it was his time to go. If I were you I would try to get Leo
        comfortable. From what I have read on this site, owners like you who
        have had a chance to bring their little ones home sort of know the right
        time to make various decisions. And you will too. Good luck. i am really
        sorry about your little dude. just hug and kiss him a lot and try to
        protect your other two. its a lot to do; i never realized how delicate
        cats were until my too too short trip into ownership.

        >>> scarletmood@... 12/08/03 07:58PM >>>

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 8, 2003
          Well, I have to tell  you I had a very rough time with FIP and my kids, and you can read my past posts. I have lost 5 to FIP BUT (KNOCK ON WOOD) it has been over a year and a half and my Toby who was here from the beginning is still her and still over 25 lbs and now lives with 2 FeLv kids (Pepper who is a bangle/DSH mix, who was almost put to sleep by my shelter and is 10 1/2 lbs and has GM seizures and Jak the most recent that I raise from weks old and went thru distemper, lost one eye to it,  and then tested Pos. for FeLv, at 32 weeks old is only about 1 1/2 lbs). So the moral of the story is there is hope (and NO I did not use drugs on any of them!) but each one is diffrent, so you just have to see. I personally did supplements and kept them on great food, Feline Pine litter (they don't get URI's on it, which helps) and cleaned cleaned and cleaned more! I wish you luck!
          Our thoughs are with you

          Sonja
          and the 4 legged fuzzybutts