Re: [FIPsupport-group] Please help........Possible FIP??

  • JoAnne Kraun
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2003
      There is no FIP test - just a coronavirus test, and
      even if your cat does get a positive coronavirus titer
      that does not mean he will get FIP. His improvement
      on the antibiotics are ceratainly a positive sign. I
      have had 2 cats diagnosed with FIP, one with wet FIP,
      Clyde, and his littermate, Bonnie, diagnosed with dry
      FIP, but still very much alive. I had Clyde
      euthanized about 2 weeks after his FIP diagnosis. He
      had quit eating and slept most of the time. He had
      wet FIP and his belly was full of fluid. I had the
      fluid tapped twice and then gave up, my heart was
      broken. I started giving Bonnie Interferon daily
      immediately after Clyde was diagnosed with FIP,
      although she was not exhibiting symptoms at the time.
      The kitties were 5 months old when Clyde was
      euthanized. When Bonnie was 9 months old, she started
      having trouble with her eyes. She is a Himalayan,
      with blue eyes. The blue part turned red, like blood,
      and her pupil had an irregular shape (this was in one
      eye). Her vet referred me to a veterinary
      opthamologist, because they have ways of seeing
      lesions that are specific to FIP with the instruments
      they use to check the eye. Although no lesions were
      found, she was tested for all of the things that cause
      her condition (called anterior uveitis) and there was
      nothing found, so she was diagnosed with dry FIP. She
      also had a slight temp - not too high, around 103.5.
      Her fur felt kind of rough. Bonnie had uveitis off and
      on in both eyes for about a year and a half. We kept
      it under control with medication most of the time.
      She developed glaucoma, which often comes secondary to
      uveitis. We successfully treated the glaucoma as
      well. A few months ago, the opthamologist took Bonnie
      off of her eye drops. She has had no problems since
      then. I continued her Interferon daily until 2 months
      ago, she gets it every other day now. Her coat is
      soft and beautiful. Her eyes are perfect. She still
      has a coronavirus titer - but appears healthy. She
      has struggled with struvite crystals and will probably
      be on medication for the crystals forever. I treat
      her with Ashwaghanda, milk thistle, and astragalus
      every other day. Also echinacea if she seems to be
      not feeling well. Bonnie also has behavioral issues
      and is currently taking Buspirone - which has made her
      more outgoing and friendly, and keeps her from
      spraying urine on my white carpet. Her and my siamese
      mix, Elvis, fight. They both see a behaviorist and
      Elvis is on Prozac, he is the aggressive one. None of
      my other cats has become ill, and they are always
      together. I hope your kitty is okay, and that this is
      not FIP....

      JoAnne

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
    • nyteowl99
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2003
        Thanks to all for answering. I got stuck at work on Friday and wasn't
        able to make it to the vet's for his test. I decided to stop his
        medicine on Wednesday. The diarrhea and vomiting had cleared up, and
        it didn't seem to be helping in any other way. Besides, I hate to
        give my cats any kind of cortisone unless it's absolutely essential.
        I doubled his dose of Mega-C and Transfer Factor. By Thursday night
        he was looking much perkier. Yesterday and today he's absolutely back
        to being himself - the dull look in his eyes is gone, he's up all the
        time, being affectionate, playing, and interested in everything.

        Now I'm confused. Does this happen in FIP cases? I'm hoping the Vet
        was right the first time and that this was some transient virus after
        all, but I'm not all that sure yet. Do symptoms come and go? Should I
        still have him tested?

        Thanks again -
        Valerie

        --- In FIPsupport-group@yahoogroups.com, JoAnne Kraun <jkraun@y...>

      • glenda nolan
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 7, 2003
          Where do you get transfer factor? I have read about it but can't find it.

          wrote:
> [...]
          > > hasn't lost any
          > > weight ( I think he's gained actually).
          > >
          > > I felt I needed to tell this to people who
          > > understand. I'm really
          > > sorry it's so long. (I know it is). I wanted to ask
          > > if anyone who's
          > > lived with a FIP infected cat has had similar
          > > experiences? I know he
          > > hasn't been diagnosed yet, but I'm so frightened by
          > > the thought of
          > > it. I've scoured the internet and found so little
          > > hope for cats with
          > > this awful disease. I'm also worried about his
          > > sister. If it is FIP -
          > > is she at a very high risk for getting it too??? She
          > > seems fine - but
          > > so did he 2 weeks ago.
          > >
          > > Thanks for being here. My heart goes out to everyone
          > > whose baby is
          > > fighting this and many other feline illnesses. There

          Do you Yahoo!?
        • nyteowl99
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 7, 2003
            Hi Glenda

            If you do a Google search you'll find a dozen or so distributors of
            Transfer Factor. In researching this, I've found that most Vets
            recommend the Transfer Factor "Plus". The "Plus" seems to be added
            antioxidants and immune strengtheners. And most of them recommend the
            Human form. BUT - I've tried the human capsules and no matter what I
            mixed it with, NOT ONE of my cats would touch it. It had an extremely
            strong smell.

            I then bought the Feline Formula and while they didn't like it added
            to their food, if I mixed it with a little water (or milk) and gave
            it to them with a dropper, nobody objected. The company came up with
            a new Feline Formula about a year ago - they took out the "Plus",
            claiming that people asked them to make it more palatable for their
            cats - but - out went what most Vets felt was the most beneficial
            part. It's called Feline Complete. I've used it and they like it
            okay, but I wanted the old stuff. Since the old formula was gone from
            a lot of distributor sites, I thought it was no longer manufactured.
            But recently I found a couple of sites that still carry it - and it's
            cheaper than the Complete. The Complete has added vitamins, which the
            old formula doesn't, but you can always supplement with a separate
            multivitamin. I use MegaC Plus.

            If you want to talk to someone who did a lot of research and is very
            honest about TF (even if he IS a distributor) go to www.4tf-
            pets.com/rosen/. His name is Dr. Baruch Rosen and I've had a lot of
            correspondence with him. He'll answer any questions you may have. If
            you want to order the old (or new) cat formula you can find it at
            www.naturallyfit.com. Go to the 4Life products and click on the link.
            The old formula is called "Transfer Factor Plus - Feline Formula.
            Hope this helps.

            Valerie

            Service.