Getting it in Writing

    Message 1 of 7 , May 10 6:38 AM
      In the Kindred Dead Thread,

      Gary Templeman wrote:

      > information depending on who I spoke to at FHC Support. It seems perfectly
      > reasonable to ask that such instructions be available in writing from
      > official Church sources.

      Is there a written rule about allowing patrons to hoard microfilm on
      indefinite "just in case I need them again" or "All my research is in
      that area and it's much easier if the films are here when I need them." ??

      Seems to me there was something in a memorandum about patrons building
      private research caches, but we can't seem to lay hands on the right one.

      Thanks.

      Cheryl
    • Janice Faulconer
      Message 2 of 7 , May 10 7:36 AM
        Message 3 of 7 , May 10 8:17 AM
          I thought that was the whole idea of extended film status. Are you
          implying that it would be improper to do that?
          Dianna Solmes
          Hastings MI FHD

          Have a great day!
          > information depending on who I spoke to at FHC Support. It seems
          perfectly
          > reasonable to ask that such instructions be available in writing from
          > official Church sources.

          Is there a written rule about allowing patrons to hoard microfilm on
          indefinite "just in case I need them again" or "All my research is in
          that area and it's much easier if the films are here when I need them."
          ??

          Seems to me there was something in a memorandum about patrons building
          private research caches, but we can't seem to lay hands on the right
          one.

          Thanks.

          Subscribe: Go to HYPERLINK
          "http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FHCNET"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FHCN
          ET
          or send blank email to FHCNET-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          "mailto:FHCNET-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe"FHCNET-un
          subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 7 , May 10 11:00 AM
            The problem is that some patrons use "indefinite" as a synonym for "permanent". I do seem to recall something in a memorandum about returning films that were not in active use. There have also been statements in the past that local centers were not supposed to seek to develop large collections.

            We put a label on the box and have them enter a date every time it is viewed. After a year or two with no activity we send it back.

            Gary Templeman
            Corvallis Oregon