Re: [FHCNET] Kindred Dead

  • Gary Templeman
    Message 1 of 7 , May 9, 2005
      From: "Venita Roylance" <venitar@...>

      Hi Margery,

      You wrote:

      > I did call the Family History Center Suipport line and got the answer
      > "We
      > generally consider Kindred Dead are your direct ancestors, their
      > children
      > and the spouses of their children. On occasion when far enough back
      > in
      > time not to be interferring with someone else's rights, kindred dead
      > can
      > include the grandchildren of your direct ancestors." I am looking
      > for that
      > in writing from a person of authority. I am also looking for comments
      > before I put this out there for use in our wards and get my self in
      > more
      > trouble than I want.

      That pretty much says it, don't you think? Going outside of these
      guidelines is what gets us into trouble sometimes and sheds an
      unfavorable light on what we're asked to accomplish.

      Yours,

      Venita Parry
      Missionary
      Family History Training Center
      Provo, Utah

      The issue is not with *what* she was told, but that she does not have it *in
      writing*. It is one thing to repeat a telephone conversation but quite
      another to be able to hand out an official document from Church
      headquarters. There is too much hearsay in the Church already. In my own
      personal experience on a number of occasions I have gotten different
      information depending on who I spoke to at FHC Support. It seems perfectly
      reasonable to ask that such instructions be available in writing from
      official Church sources.

      Gary Templeman
      Corvallis Oregon FHC
      Message 2 of 7 , May 10, 2005
        In the Kindred Dead Thread,

        Gary Templeman wrote:

        > information depending on who I spoke to at FHC Support. It seems perfectly
        > reasonable to ask that such instructions be available in writing from
        > official Church sources.

        Is there a written rule about allowing patrons to hoard microfilm on
        indefinite "just in case I need them again" or "All my research is in
        that area and it's much easier if the films are here when I need them." ??

        Seems to me there was something in a memorandum about patrons building
        private research caches, but we can't seem to lay hands on the right one.

        Thanks.

        Cheryl
      • Janice Faulconer
        Message 3 of 7 , May 10, 2005
          Message 4 of 7 , May 10, 2005
            I thought that was the whole idea of extended film status. Are you
            implying that it would be improper to do that?
            Dianna Solmes
            Hastings MI FHD

            Have a great day!
            > information depending on who I spoke to at FHC Support. It seems
            perfectly
            > reasonable to ask that such instructions be available in writing from
            > official Church sources.

            Is there a written rule about allowing patrons to hoard microfilm on
            indefinite "just in case I need them again" or "All my research is in
            that area and it's much easier if the films are here when I need them."
            ??

            Seems to me there was something in a memorandum about patrons building
            private research caches, but we can't seem to lay hands on the right
            one.

            Thanks.

            Subscribe: Go to HYPERLINK
            "http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FHCNET"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FHCN
            ET
            or send blank email to FHCNET-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            "mailto:FHCNET-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe"FHCNET-un
            subscribe@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 7 , May 10, 2005
              The problem is that some patrons use "indefinite" as a synonym for "permanent". I do seem to recall something in a memorandum about returning films that were not in active use. There have also been statements in the past that local centers were not supposed to seek to develop large collections.

              We put a label on the box and have them enter a date every time it is viewed. After a year or two with no activity we send it back.

              Gary Templeman
              Corvallis Oregon