RE: [FHCNET] Re: How to ground oneself?

  • RussellHltn
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 28, 2005
      >>> Touching wood before is an old wives tale. It is a non-conductor, and
      as such does nothing to drain any charge from the individual. However, if
      there is paint on the wood that is conductive, such as some that contain
      lead, and is in turn connected to a ground, this may take some of the charge
      away. <<<

      All I know is if I touch wood I don't experience an uncomfortable "zap".
      The places I work are too new to have lead in the paint. It's probably not
      enough to properly drain static for sensitive work, but it does improve
      comfort when you do the second stage of touching the chassis.

      >>> By the way I have been certified by the government to teach this subject
      for many years and have worked around this kind of equipment for years as
      well. <<<

      I don't dispute your expertise in dealing with static in sensitive
      situations, but I don't think we need to go that far to prevent the USB
      ports from getting blown out.

      I think I've worked out how to deal with this in our center. I'm thinking
      of mounting the end of the USB extension cable to the top of a blank PC
      board and grounding the copper side. When placing the thumb drive to the
      connector the patron will have to touch the PC board in the act of sliding
      their drive into place. I'm debating between grounding the PC board to the
      outer edge of the USB cable (I think it's grounded) or running a separate
      wire to the chassis. The separate wire is safer but less neat.
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 1, 2005
        Paul Marshall wrote:

        > Carpets do not discharge static, they create it. Carpets are NEVER used
        > around electro-static sensitive equipment. If anyone ever says that their
        > carpet discharges static, PLEASE DO NOT believe them. It may have low
        > static because it perhaps has a very short pile, but it does not discharge
        > static and can not.

        If you're saying what I'm reading -- Fiddle-sticks. (g) I've gotten
        beaucoups-plenty "zaps" from touching carpet. If I've lost track of the
        negatives and botched the parse, uhhh, sorry?

        Still, I see a dichotomy of advice here. If one is supposed to
        discharge static before touching the computer, then surely touching the
        computer *to* discharge static is counter-productive? If what is
        actually meant is, "don't open the case and touch anything without using
        a zap-pad", it makes sense.

        I doubt our FHC will ever have the issue -- here in DC we're rarely
        lower than 40% humidity, and often at 90% or higher; static is fairly
        uncommon under those conditions. ;)

        Cheryl
      • RussellHltn
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 1, 2005
          >>> Still, I see a dichotomy of advice here. If one is supposed to
          discharge static before touching the computer, then surely touching the
          computer *to* discharge static is counter-productive? If what is actually
          meant is, "don't open the case and touch anything without using a zap-pad",
          it makes sense. <<<

          The latter - and the connectors in the USB port is akin to opening the case
          and touching something. That's what started this whole thing. You'd have
          thought that the USB port would be better protected, but apparently not
          enough as I have heard of people who have blown their ports.
        • Paul Marshall
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 1, 2005
            This whole discussion could go on for a long time.
            If you are worried or concerned that you will have static built up, then
            ground all of the equipment you are working with to a common ground that
            has 0 ohms resistance to earth ground. Then when you use the wrist strap
            with the cord to the common ground you will have all items at that ground,
            and no static can reach any electronic component.
            Utilization of the USB item/s should have little or no effect on static
            discharge since they were designed to have an absolute minimum effect with
            static discharge. There are exceptions of course, as there is with just
            about everything else in electronics. If you have a doubt for your center,
            take the necessary precautions, ones that are valid and will work.
            This should end all necessary discussion on this topic. Lets move on to
            other important topics. All agree???
            Paul Marshall
            IU Consulting

            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 1, 2005
              RussellHltn wrote:

              > discharge static before touching the computer, then surely touching the
              > computer *to* discharge static is counter-productive? If what is actually
              > meant is, "don't open the case and touch anything without using a zap-pad",
              > it makes sense. <<<
              >
              > The latter - and the connectors in the USB port is akin to opening the case
              > and touching something. That's what started this whole thing. You'd have
              > thought that the USB port would be better protected, but apparently not
              > enough as I have heard of people who have blown their ports.

              You'd've thought, sure 'nuff.

              Cheryl
            • Gary Templeman
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 1, 2005
                Agree, and if more discussion is needed move it to FHCTECH, which is
                oriented towards the technical aspects.

                Gary Templeman