RE: [FHCNET] ancestry MrSID plugin

  • RussellHltn
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 30, 2004
      I don't remember what MrSID normally did. I don't see any icons for save or
      print, but a right click of the mouse shows the functions are there and
      useable.

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2004
        Russell,

        Yes, I do see that the save and print options are available under right
        click. But, to move around on the image doesn't seem to work as well as in
        the past when you could click on the hand at the top of the screen. I've
        written to ancestry and am waiting for a response back from them.

        Thanks,
        Patty

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 2, 2004
          A member of the Utah Valley PAF Users Group who works
          for Ancestry says they, as of about six-eight months
          ago, have a new viewer that works alot better than Mr
          SID ever did. You may all want to check with Ancestry
          on that one, or if there is someone who works closely
          with Ancestry on a regular basis on this list, could
          you find out what the new software is? I forget
          exactly what it is now.

          --- Patty Gaddis <geneamom@...> wrote:

          > Russell,
          >
          > Yes, I do see that the save and print options are
          > available under right
          > click. But, to move around on the image doesn't
          > seem to work as well as in
          > the past when you could click on the hand at the top
          > of the screen. I've
          > written to ancestry and am waiting for a response
          > back from them.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Patty
          > At 01:58 AM 12/1/2004, you wrote:
          >

          > >I don't remember what MrSID normally did. I don't
          > see any icons for save or
          > >print, but a right click of the mouse shows the
          > functions are there and
          > >useable.

          http://my.yahoo.com
        • Richard L. Halliday
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 2, 2004
            Does the replacement for Mr. SID work with Firefox? If so, then the FHCs
            can quit using the Internet Explorer and use Firefox which is faster and
            much more resistant to viruses.

            Richard L Halliday

            A member of the Utah Valley PAF Users Group who works
            for Ancestry says they, as of about six-eight months
            ago, have a new viewer that works alot better than Mr
            SID ever did. You may all want to check with Ancestry
            on that one, or if there is someone who works closely
            with Ancestry on a regular basis on this list, could
            you find out what the new software is? I forget
            exactly what it is now.

            --- Patty Gaddis <geneamom@...> wrote:

            > Russell,
            >
            > Yes, I do see that the save and print options are
            > available under right
            > click. But, to move around on the image doesn't
            > seem to work as well as in
            > the past when you could click on the hand at the top
            > of the screen. I've
            > written to ancestry and am waiting for a response
            > back from them.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Patty
            > At 01:58 AM 12/1/2004, you wrote:
            >

            > >I don't remember what MrSID normally did. I don't
            > see any icons for save or
            > >print, but a right click of the mouse shows the
            > functions are there and
            > >useable.

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • RussellHltn
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 2, 2004
              >>> and use Firefox which is faster <<<

              My experience is that while it's faster to load a page, it's far slower to start up or even "switch to" when switching between programs.

              At best it's "sort of" faster.

              I should also mention that if any of you have installed Sun's Java to be able to use OpenOffice (The d530 may have come with it), you should get an upgrade. The older versions had a flaw that could be exploited, even if you were running Firefox. Even if you were running Linux!

              Story: http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5464872.html

              Quite frankly I found Sun's upgrade painful. Not only was it a pain to find, but it didn't seem to upgrade, but install the new version right alongside of the old one. Ugh. Sorry, Microsoft's "Windows Update" got it right. Sun's upgrade is nasty.